Missing Symbology

05-11-2017 02:36 PM
StacySalinas
New Contributor

We have a map created in ArcMap 10.2 and it uses file geodatabases. Our end users are using ArcReader 10.2 to view the .pmf file. All the data is stored on their C drives in a specific folder. Here's the problem... we have one user with a new computer but some of the layers don't show up. This isn't the same as when the data is missing and you get the red exclamation mark. So I uninstalled ArcReader and re-installed it. Had the same problem. The layer name is there but when you click on the + next to the layer name to show the symbology for that layer, there is nothing there and nothing appears on the map itself. It isn't all layers doing this either. A few of the layers use the same file from the fGDB but they are symbolized differently or have a definition query applied. On some layers they will show and others they won't. I'm attaching what it looks like on their map and what it should look like.

It has to be something with his computer or his ArcReader. I copied my folder that works on my computer and in my ArcReader to his computer and it didn't show correctly. I then copied his original folder to my computer and it did show correctly. I checked his fGDB in Catalog and everything is there so I just don't know why it won't show correctly.

I had him restart his computer in case it was storing something in the cache, but they still don't show.

We have a copy of the map on a network drive and the layers do point to the user's C drive like they should. I tried opening that and this time the symbols did show but they were all wrong.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on???

On these attachments, CorrectArcReader is how it should look. missingsymb shows what it looks like on his computer, notice the large white space too. wrongsymbols shows what it looked like when I opened it from the network drive.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnnaritaMacri
New Contributor II

Hi Stacy, I'm having the same issue.  Did you ever resolve this problem?

0 Kudos