Why are the map units in Arc Pro read-only?

02-13-2020 10:41 AM
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

I am working with archaeological data (specifically, a site map drawn in CAD) for a site whose real-world location is unknown. The site was excavated using an arbitrary grid with a datum of 0 easting and 0 northing. I know that the unit of measurement on the site was feet. Previously, I was able to work with similar files in ArcMap, where it was possible to work with CAD maps that did not have a defined coordinate system or projection and the map units could also be set to feet; however, this is not possible in Arc Pro for some reason: it seems the map units are read-only and set as meters and not feet.

My question: Is this a bug?

The file I'm working with will have no base map in the real-world. It is simply a site map in order to do intra-site analysis of map features using GIS.

Thanks for input!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

The unfortunate answer to your question is "Unfortunately removing the ability to set “none” coordinate system in Pro is a design decision" despite numerous use cases suggesting otherwise:

How to clear\define the coordinate system of a particular layer in catalog of ArcPro? 

Getting “clear” option of the coordinate system available in ArcGIS Pro, 

https://community.esri.com/thread/205035-how-to-define-the-coordinate-system-of-a-layer-while-workin... 

You might want to add your use case to those ideas in the hopes that maybe, one day, Pro will have the same functionality as ArcMap. 

LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Thanks  for taking time to reply. That is unfortunate, indeed. Needless to say, I hope they decide to add that functionality as well!

Leslie

0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

I have tried in vain to set the coordinate system to "local" as it states ON THE ARC PRO website:

Coordinate systems, projections, and transformations—Properties of maps | Documentation 

"Horizontal coordinate systems can be of three types: geographic, projected, and local." It also provides a PDF entitled "ArcGIS 10.8.0 and ArcGIS Pro 2.5 Projected Coordinate System Tables" in which the following is the listing for something called "Local":

Alas, "Local" is not actually an option under Geographic, Projected, or a third option in ArcGIS Pro.

I'm guessing the reason is the same as stated above??

0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Update: In case anyone is following this...

I did find a place where "Local" is an option.

If you go to the Map Properties menu >> Coordinate Systems >> Create New Projected Coordinate System,

there is an option for "Local" under the "Projection" field in the setting menu. 

Maybe this helps someone else!

0 Kudos