HEC-GeoRAS Inudation Mapping - New (File Geodatabase) not working with HEC-RAS import

10-15-2012 09:09 AM
JonathonThornburg
New Contributor
Hello,

I am working with ArcGIS 9.3.1 and HEC-GeoRAS 4.3.93.  I am having two baffling problems when trying to produce the inundation maps with the data imported to ArcGIS via HEC-RAS 4.2 Beta. 

Firstly, if I import the RAS Data to a "New (File Geodatabase)", I can not get past the step "Floodplain Deliniation Using Rasters" of the "Inundation Mapping" section.  I get a series of errors listed below:

----------------------------------------------------
"Failed to create mask feature class! System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041292): The spatial index grid size is invalid. at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IFeature.Store() at HECGeoRAS.clsMFloodGRIDIntersection.GetMaskFeatureClass(IFeatureClass pBP, IFeatureClass pSA)"

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at HECGeoRAS.clsMFloodGRIDIntersection.GetCombinedWaterSurface(IGeoDataset pWSDS, IFeatureClass pSA, IFeatureClass pSA, IFeatureClass pBP, IQueryFilter pQF)"

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at HECGeoRAS.clsMFloodGRIDIntersection.CalcDiffGRIDMonolith(IGeoDatasetpWSDS, String sUniqueDepthGRIDName)"

"Failed to complete floodplain mapping successfully!"

Secondly, I have used the "Classic (Personal Geodatabase)" Ras Import method and have had 100% SUCCESS in producing the inundation maps with NO errors.  This took an unfortunate significant amount of time to process for one water surface profile, but I obtained the results that I needed.

The problem is that I need to produce these results for around 20 water surface profiles.  When I tried processing these inundation maps for all 20 water surface profiles (had to let the job run over the whole weekend), I ended up getting another series of errors in the "Floodplain Deliniation Using Rasters" section.  The errors are listed below:

"Failed to convert TIN to GRID.  Attempted to read or write protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. lineposition= 8"

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at HECGeoRAS.clsMFloodGRIDIntersection.CalcDiffGRIDMonolith(IGeoDatasetpWSDS, String sUniqueDepthGRIDName)"

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at HECGeoRAS.clsMFloodGRIDIntersection.GetCombinedWaterSurface(IGeoDataset pWSDS, IFeatureClass pSA, IFeatureClass pSA, IFeatureClass pBP, IQueryFilter pQF)"

"Failed to complete floodplain mapping successfully!"

The wierd part is that results for one water surface profile were produced during this 20 water surface profile execution.

In summary, the Import Ras data as a "New (File Geodatabase)" option is not working when trying to produce inundation maps.  The Import Ras as  a "Classic (Personal Geodatabase)" option is working for producing inundation maps, but only when processing one water surface profile.  This is also taking a significant amount of time to process (hours per a water surface profile). 

I have been fighting these problems for several days now... Please help!!!

Much appreciated,

Jonathon Thornburg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MattMead
New Contributor III
Jonathon,
I've outlined the process for delineating your floodplain outside of the georas mapper in this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68849-Error-in-quot-Floodplain-delineation-quot-HecGeoRas

In your case since you have 20 profiles, you might want to use the imported cross sections from the RAS output to save time.  Keep in mind though that the imported cross sections in the geodatabase are not spatially referenced(but are in the correct location).  Quickest way to sort that out is just export the cross sections and set it to your mxd's reference instead of source file.

edit:
Noticed you mentioned running everything overnight to save time...if you right click on the "TIN difference" tool and select "batch" you can set all of the intersections to run together.
0 Kudos
RomokeShakirah
New Contributor

Please I need ur help m having the same problem can you please share d message you sent to him to me,i mean the process u outlined

0 Kudos
JonathonThornburg
New Contributor
Hi Matt,

Just wanted to acknowledge your post... Thank you for providing some feedback! I am going on paternity leave, but I will give your approach a go when I return to work.

Much appreciated,
Jonathon
0 Kudos
RomokeShakirah
New Contributor

Pls how were u able to solve it can u please share it with m have been on the same problem for long

0 Kudos
RomokeShakirah
New Contributor

Please how do you import the RAS as a classic database cause when I tried saving it in personal geodatabase that under output directory under layer set up its displaying error output directory

0 Kudos