Constraint on Calculated Data

02-18-2020 07:25 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a select_one question with 5 potential responses. I have a corresponding integer question that is filled in based upon the results from the select_one. I have a calculation on the integer question that either returns a 0 or nothing depending on the select_one. If the calculation is 0, worker moves on, if the field is blank from the calculation, then the worker is required to add a value greater than 0. Can i add a constraint to the integer field only when the calculation returns 'blank'?

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GaryBowles1

Found the examples of the form expressions for required fields and that works great.

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Jumped the gun a little. i got the field to be required using the form expressions but not the constraint yet. Still looking at this and in need of some assistance.

thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

I have the following formula in the constraint field:

if (selected(${mia_9x5}='NRM',.>0,''))

This is enforcing all values to be greater than zero, even when the the selected value is not 'NRM'.

Help.

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gary,

Can you share the select_one and subsequent calculation?  The calculation you supplied above appears to have misplaced parenthesis; the if parameters appear to be in the selected() question.  This should be:

if(selected(${mia_9x5), .>0, '')

If this is used in a constraint, there is an issue with the if_false value - constraints expect either true or false value.  If you want a 'pass' if mia_9x5 has no selection, have the value true() in place of '' to allow any value:

if(selected(${mia_9x5), .>0, true())

If you want it empty, I would instead make the question non-relevant or read-only to prevent input.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

James,

Thanks for the assistance. The following calculation in the constraint field works as required:

if(selected(${mia_9x5})='NRM',.>0,true())

When 'NRM' is selected the integer value entered must be greater than zero, if any of the four other choices in the select_one are chosen, the default value of 0 passes.

Thanks again,

--gary

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

James,

I did some further testing and the constrain does not work properly. If NRM is selected any value passes through the constraint (negative numbers, 0 positive numbers). 

What do you need to see?

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gary,

Dumb syntax error based in the selected function - it takes the argument you want to check for equality with in the function:

selected(${mia_9x5},'NRM')

not

selected(${mia_9x5})='NRM'

0 Kudos