Greetings: I have been exploring the Deep Learning examples for ArcPro. With the ArcPro upgrade I am having issues with previously coded examples. My question: Can I downgrade to TensorFlow 1.14.0 from ArcPro 2.5.0? I believe the answer is no. I'm h

Jump to solution
02-14-2020 06:17 AM
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Greetings:  I have been exploring the Deep Learning examples for ArcPro.  With the ArcPro upgrade I am having issues with previously coded examples.  My question:  Can I downgrade to TensorFlow 1.14.0 from ArcPro 2.5.0?  I believe the answer is no.  I'm having this issue because the github and eLearning DeepLearning with TensorFlow examples only seem to work using TensorFlow 1.14, none work with TensorFlow 2.0.0 (which I believe is the only version that ArcPro 2.5.0 can install).  I've tried many times to install TensorFlow 1.14 and this simply hasn't worked yet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  The screenshot shows the result of trying to install any lower version of TensorFlow--ultimately only TensorFlow 2.0.0 is actually in the installed packages.  Thank you for looking at this!  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

I can't thank you enough!  There's nothing I can't misunderstand, but that was the key. 

Thanks again!  I'll close this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can do it with "conda" using the --no-pin option, but tensorflow certainly isn't one of the installed packages by default, which begs the question of how it got there.  If it was installed as part of something you installed from esri, it would have been the recommended version.  If you installed it, then the most recent version would be installed by default, unless you did a conda install specifying the version number and channel you wanted.

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for this comment.  ArcPro allows you to install a conda based enviroment, now including juypter notebooks within the Python environment.  This is handy imo.  The installation of TensorFlow is done within ArcPro by adding the TensorFlow package (and associated subpackages).  As mentioned, although the option for 1.14.0 is given, functionally, within ArcPro, TensorFlow 2.0.0 is actually installed.  Even removing this completely and trying to install TensorFlow (again with the ArcPro application) results in 2.0.0 actually being included in the cloned environment.  Thank you very much again for your help with this issue and quick response.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

William

Install deep learning frameworks for ArcGIS—Help | Documentation 

was that the process you followed?

This line...

conda install tensorflow-gpu=1.14.0

will rollback any other version to 1.14

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Cool--thank you so much!  Trying this now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

William, close the thread out as answered if it indeed does work

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Sorry for this difficulty, but typing these commands directly into the Python window in ArcPro as shown above has no result at all. 

I then tried to use a command line (within a cmd window) as shown below and received an error with the clone attempt.

Please note my prompt below ends with the ">" character:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python>"%PROGRAMFILES%\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts\propy"
Python 3.6.9 |Anaconda, Inc.| (default, Jul 30 2019, 14:00:49) [MSC v.1915 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> conda create --name deeplearning --clone arcgispro-py3
File "<stdin>", line 1
conda create --name deeplearning --clone arcgispro-py3
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

I note these commands that need to be run from the manual earlier shared:

conda create --name deeplearning --clone arcgispro-py3
activate deeplearning
conda install tensorflow-gpu=1.14.0
conda install keras-gpu=2.2.4
conda install Pillow=6.1.0
conda install pytorch=1.1.0
conda install libtiff=4.0.10 --no-deps
proswap deeplearning

In the ArcPro Python window (as shown above) entering them and hitting return doesn't seem to have a result?

I deleted my earlier cloned environments and restarted ArcPro.

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Here is what I am trying from the python window--with no activity after hitting return:

Nothing seems to happen?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to do it from within "conda" not the python window in Pro

This will get you there.  But make sure you have the environment you want set in Pro before you go there (and shut down Pro as well)

0 Kudos