ArcGIS Earth 1.9 What is source of elevation profile values?

Jump to solution
05-29-2019 12:36 PM
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

First, the elevation profile functionality in ArcGIS Earth is really pretty cool.

I have been checking elevation values in ArcGIS Earth 1.9 versus other data sources and the values appear to be off substantially. For example, I get values of around 350 feet from both USGS DEMs and the Topo basemaps for a location in Lancaster, Pennsylvania that are reported as 530 feet in ArcGIS Earth's profile.

Any ideas what may be happening here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I suspect your elevation exaggeration is not set to 1 under 3D effects.  Please check your settings.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I suspect your elevation exaggeration is not set to 1 under 3D effects.  Please check your settings.

XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback.

It's awesome that you like the elevation profile function in ArcGIS Earth.

The source of the elevation profile is the terrain you used in the Terrain panel. It could be an online elevation service or a local terrain file. The default terrain is https://elevation3d.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D/ImageServer

If there are several terrain files available in your Terrain panel, then the first terrain on the top will be used to generate the elevation profile.

I've compared several terrain sources and the values are consistent. Could you help to check is your elevation exaggeration set to 1 under 3D Effects? Just like Mervyn Lotter‌ mentioned. 

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

I checked and changed the exaggeration to 1 and now I get the expected results.

BUT, I would disagree with this functionality. The exaggeration should be applied to the visual display and NOT the reported elevation value of a location in a profile or location measurement.

John Fix | Geospatial Architect

XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Thanks, John.

The purpose of applying exaggeration is to provide more options. We will consider enhancing this to avoid confusion.

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

ArcGIS Earth 1.10 is released and includes this enhancement. Please download it on the ArcGIS Earth product page: ArcGIS Earth | Understand Spatial Information with World Maps 

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

Xuewen,

I downloaded and installed the update, it works as expected. The exaggerated 3D value does not change the elevation values in the profile graph. Thanks!

John Fix

0 Kudos