Can't share StoryMap even though it's public. Layers blocked without logging in first? How do I fix this?

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 11:51 AM
JosephAlessi
New Contributor II

I have a few of the ESRI provided layers that I used from the Living Atlas that will not show on anyone else's computer but my own.  Why can't I share?  Is it because there is a license block on these layers so they can't be shared?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephAlessi
New Contributor II

You guys were right, there were additional settings within the Configure App setup that were restricting the file from being shared.  Took me a bit to find out where the check box was, but after I set that up everything worked just fine.  Thx everyone for your support and concern!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

Double check your sharing permissions for everything that supports the Story Map - any hosted layers, web maps, embeded Story Maps, everything.  There are some built in checks to help remind you were you need to broaden your sharing, and the Story Maps site will check your Story Maps for sharing problems but you can't trust them to catch all sharing problems. I can't swear that sharing is your problem, but I remember swearing that sharing wasn't my problem when it was.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Joseph -- Sorry you are having trouble with your story map. Which story map template are you using? Our builders have a story checker that should report issues to you. At the top of the builder, do you see an orange FIX button (Journal/Series) or is the heart icon red/orange (Cascade)? Can you provide a little more detail about what's happening? Are you being blocked from sharing the story or is the story just not working for others? If the story is shared publicly, could you provide a link so we can investigate?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JosephAlessi
New Contributor II

You guys were right, there were additional settings within the Configure App setup that were restricting the file from being shared.  Took me a bit to find out where the check box was, but after I set that up everything worked just fine.  Thx everyone for your support and concern!

JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

Another thing that can prevent the public from viewing your Online Story Maps and other map apps is the "anonymous access" settings.  It should be checked.  Find it in Organization, Edit Settings, Security.

Here's the documentation about that setting:  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm

0 Kudos
DavidWatkins2
New Contributor II

I have a similar problem.  After copying a Map Journal Storymap and sharing it with the public it still shows up as Private when in edit mode. On the story map page I can see all the images referenced in a list with their URL's but I don't have permission to view them.  Is there something else going on with those images - I have published other story maps before and have not had this problem so don't think it is a matter of changing settings. 

0 Kudos