Can't clone Py environment in 2.3.2

04-02-2019 06:53 PM
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

I should say I _still_ can't clone the Py environment, but my home machine gives me a different error message than my work machine. 

What work around is there for 2.3.2? Dan Patterson 

Is it finally fixed in 2.4?

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute_actions(337): An error occurred while installing package 'defaults::ipykernel-4.9.0-py36_0'.
LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-4.9.0-py36_0
running your command again with `-v` will provide additional information
location of failed script: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone2\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

Attempting to roll back.

LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-4.9.0-py36_0
location of failed script: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone2\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

Tags (1)
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ipython seems a bit dated, but I have Spyder installed and I upgraded python (3.6.8) and a few other packages

so that may be the reason.

ipykernel                     5.1.0            py36h39e3cac_0
ipython                        7.2.0            py36h39e3cac_0
ipython_genutils          0.2.0            py36h3c5d0ee_0
ipywidgets                   7.4.2            py36_0

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

If you want to clone, then quit using C:\Users ... is one recommendation.  I do my cloning through conda... although on my machine, I just update and/or the packages in the initial installation, which I install in its own folder outside of the C:\Programs Files folder.  I have no issues... can't help you with your work situation

Whatever you do always have a look at 

>>> conda update "whatever" --dry-run

dry-run gives you the opportunity to check to see if anything is going to affect anything else.  

When you download your Arc*, save the *.exe to disk and run it from there, and keep the *.msi and *.cab files in a safe location should you need to take a coffee break and reinstall everything

0 Kudos
BrandonBatt1
New Contributor II

I had to run ArcGIS Pro as administrator to resolve this issue.

LauraTateosian
New Contributor III

I'm having this problem with my 2.4 version of ArcGIS Pro.  Reinstallation did not help.  

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

I'm sorry to hear that Laura. It's frustrating!

I went through uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling again and erasing all the registry keys, folders, etc, then reinstalling again, running ArcGIS Pro as an admin, etc. 

For my situation at work, network security was interrupting the cloning process. The word clone implies (to me anyway) that the existing libraries are being simply copied, but that isn't all that's going on when working through the interface in Pro. Some of Dan Patterson's suggestions worked for me, but I didn't use Spyder. 

I met with success when I began working through conda directly in the command line environment. There are a few how-to posts on this site.

0 Kudos
LauraTateosian
New Contributor III

Thanks, Gabriel.  I was able to get the clone to work when I selected "Run as administrator".  My only regret is the many hours I wasted troubleshooting this problem!  Fingers crossed for the next steps.  Thanks for the additional information.  

0 Kudos
LauraTateosian
New Contributor III

I was able to clone the environment once.  Now I can no longer do so, even when running as administrator.  The error is back!

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

Are there any error messages (other than straight 9s)?

0 Kudos
LauraTateosian
New Contributor III

Hi Gabriel,

I think the error I receive is the same as what you posed at the beginning of this conversation.  Here are the details I get when I hover over the "exclamatory stop sign":

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute_actions(337): An error occurred while installing package 'defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0'.
LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0
location of failed script: C:\Users\lgtateos\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone7\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

Attempting to roll back.

LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0
location of failed script: C:\Users\lgtateos\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone7\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just fought through a 2.5 'upgrade' yesterday; see my chronicles here:  ArcGIS Pro 2.5 New Env but... 

Ended up doing a total uninstall and install from scratch.  Didn't go into the registry but searched and deleted any folders with esri or arcgis in the name.  Fairly painful but it's in the rear view mirror now....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos