arcgis earth elevation profile with My Data

10-23-2019 06:52 AM
OlivierCristol
New Contributor

Hello,

I have just started using ArcGis Earth and I am wondering if it is possible to use the elevation profile tool on the data I have imported. I have a imported a line shapefile in my session and would like to see the elevation profile on selected segment.

Scenario1: After selecting a segment in my shapefile, when I go to interactive analysis->elevation profile, I am asked "to clicking in the scene and double click to finish sketch". In this scenario, having some data selected in my shape file doesn't make any difference, I have to draw on top of the shape file to get the profile (see screenshot 1)

Scenario2: If I have drawn a line and saved it in "my drawings", I can right click on this line and get the elevation profile auto-generated (see screenshot 2)

Question: is there a way to get the auto generated elevation profile as in scenario2 on segment of my shapefile? Having to draw lines on top of what I have imported to get the profile is time consuming. Plus the function exists for "my drawings" data, seems logic same should exist for imported data.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JasmineDu
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for using ArcGIS Earth and providing detailed workflows and screenshots.

This is actually the top requested feature for the elevation profile tool after it was introduced in version 1.8. The good news is that this feature is coming in 1.10! In the coming release, you will be able to generate an elevation profile from KML line. Shapefile is still in our backlog considering the complexities. So in your scenario 2, there is a prerequisite step needed, which is to convert Shapefile to KML file. The converter in ArcGIS Desktop or this one SHP to KML Converter Online - MyGeodata Cloud can do a good job.

Give it a try after 1.10 is released and let us know if there are any further questions. 

Best,

Jasmine

OlivierCristol
New Contributor

Hi Jasmine,

thank you for the reply. I can't wait for version 1.10. Converting shapefile to kml is no big deal so I'll be happy with this solution. What is the timeline for 1.10 release?

Olivier

JasmineDu
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivier,

That's good to hear. We are targeting Q4 2019 for the release. Stay tuned

Best,

Jasmine

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Oliver,

ArcGIS Earth 1.10 is released, you can download it and have a try on the ArcGIS Earth product page: ArcGIS Earth | Understand Spatial Information with World Maps 

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos