How can I generate a polyline with the direction between two points knowing the order of the points and the street information?

02-02-2020 07:11 AM
StefanaCioban
New Contributor II

Hi!

I have two shapefiles, the street line information from a city (which contains only the streets used by the buses) and the bus stations as a point feature to which I've added a new column containing the position of each bus stop from the bus route. Therefore, my point feature contains a column with the bus number, one with the bus stop name and one with the position (ex: 1, 2, 3, etc.). How can I generate the position information on top of the group of streets crossed by one bus? I would prefer to simply generate two new columns with the information of the position and bus number.

I've already tried to create a network in ArcMap (as Pro doesn't yet have the tool) using these 2 shapefiles and to use the Network Analyst tools of ArcGIS Pro with that network file, however I couldn't find a solution. I've also tried this approach https://community.esri.com/people/xander_bakker/blog/2014/12/24/finding-the-shortest-route-using-dij..., but it didn't bring the results I was looking for. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

route planning‌ network anaysis‌ bus routing‌

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi, I've read your question multiple times and can't understand it. What is the bus stop position? 

0 Kudos
StefanaCioban
New Contributor II

Hi! The position is a simple numeric increment from 1 to n (n being the last bus stop from each bus line). So for example, if bus no. 100 departs from station X, that stop will have the position "1" and the bus number "100". The next stop from the route will be noted with position "2" and bus number "100" and so on.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think I get it. Just one bus? Where do you want the street to take on the bus stop attribute, and where do you want the next street to take on attribution from the next stop on the route? This will be quite easy to achieve but a picture of what you want would paint a thousand words at it were.

0 Kudos