AGOL automatic calculations on hosted feature layer?

11-26-2019 08:03 AM
Claire_Peterson
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to set up automatic calculations (concatenate) on a specific field? I have 3 hidden fields that I would like to equal the values from other required fields that the users will be entering data into.

Example: locationID field equals SiteID + area_designation + areaID

I was hoping to not have to manually calculate the data every time a feature is added to the layer.

5 Replies
HamedFarzin
Esri Contributor

Hi Claire Peterson,

You can user Arcade to populate and calculate data for new field. Please check this link, will provide more information. Create Custom Field Calculations Using Arcade Expressions 

#arcade pop-ups

Kind Regards,

Hamed 

0 Kudos
Claire_Peterson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hamed Farzin,

I had stumbled upon this link earlier but it looks like this has to be manually done every time new data is added to the feature layer - unless I am missing something? I was hoping to have these calculations done automatically so I don't have to check the data every day and perform the calculation. Similar to how you can set up calculations on fields in Survey123

Claire_Peterson
Occasional Contributor

I have been reading more on attribute rules and took a look at them in Pro - this is exactly what I need but this doesn't seem to be available in ArcGIS Online? Is that true or is there a work around to add attribute rules to a hosted feature layer? 

#attributerules #agol #arcgisonline #hostedfeaturelayer 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Claire Peterson‌ ~

Have you seen/up-voted this idea yet? https://community.esri.com/ideas/16977 

Also, you are right that Arcade field calculations are not dynamic when new features are added. I think the closest you might get in this situation is create an Arcade expression to concatenate the hidden fields in a pop-up. This will dynamically update when new features are added. 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

Claire_Peterson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter Klingman‌,

I had not seen this before - thank you! I have up-voted this idea.

I had thought about displaying this in a pop-up but I would need this information to also be displayed in the table so it is available to users when they export the data.