The reason why I cannot force all the small features into one

01-28-2020 10:35 AM
LipingLiu2
New Contributor

Hi I was using dissolve tool to Aggregates features together into one and I could see it aggregated at some level but not succeed. I am wondering if the reason is that I don't have enough memory or something else.

Thanks in advance1

Ava 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What is the dissolve based on?

0 Kudos
LipingLiu2
New Contributor

Thank you for the quick response! I didn't click any dissolve_fields,basically everything and this is the result. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Your polygons look a bit out of alignment. They will need to be contiguous to be dissolved so check for any gaps. Manually using the merge option on the editor toolbar should put them all together but still leave the small gaps. After the merge you could add new features off the same dataset to cover them up, then merge the two together again. Also performing a union to itself with the no gaps option could do it. The integrate tool may also work, but beware this will alter your entire dataset with little control over the process. Do this in edit mode or make a copy of your dataset before trying integrate as a last resort.

0 Kudos
LipingLiu2
New Contributor

Thank you David! My polygons are out of alignment, and where the gaps are at are the places where the polygons didn't get dissolved. I have tried Merge and Union option with no gas option, they didn't work either. I will trace back to see if there is anything I missed.....

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ensure you digitise something to bound yourfeatures before you union them as there needs to be a fully enclosed gap, although this tool can be temperamental. Just figuring your feature using tracing might be less painful.

0 Kudos
LipingLiu2
New Contributor

i didn't digitize the shape file, I exported it as shape file out of somewhere. I might have something missed. Now I have started to draw the outside line of the polygons......

Thank You David!

0 Kudos