Standardizing Street Type for Address Locator

Jump to solution
01-13-2020 09:33 AM
KristieReece
New Contributor III

Struggling with issues of standardizing street type for a dual range address locator. One of the analysts noticed that many records have values of "Parkway" or "PW" instead of "PKWY" which is preventing our locator from finding them. I've spent quite a bit of time searching for a solution and the closest thing I have found is the following link, but I cannot seem to find the file path. 

How To: Edit the geocoding standard abbreviations for street types 

Is there another option to resolving this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For ArcMap I change the us_addr.cls file found at $\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.X\Geocode (standard install location for 32-bit ArcMap on a 64-bit computer).  Perform a search in NotePad or better yet NotePad++ to find the Street Type that you would like to standardize.  Definitely make a backup of this file so you have a file to restore to if the changes don't work as expected.

In Pro I think you would go to a .lot.xml file at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators to make changes to the Street Types for an address locator.  Again make backups of these files.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you working with ArcMap or Pro?

0 Kudos
KristieReece
New Contributor III

Whoops. We are currently using ArcMap, but will be transitioning to Pro at some point in the coming months.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For ArcMap I change the us_addr.cls file found at $\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.X\Geocode (standard install location for 32-bit ArcMap on a 64-bit computer).  Perform a search in NotePad or better yet NotePad++ to find the Street Type that you would like to standardize.  Definitely make a backup of this file so you have a file to restore to if the changes don't work as expected.

In Pro I think you would go to a .lot.xml file at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators to make changes to the Street Types for an address locator.  Again make backups of these files.

KristieReece
New Contributor III

I found it! Thank you very much!

Sadly, the variations I was hoping to add to this list are already included, so now I have to investigate other possible causes for it not matching. At least now I know where I need to go in the future!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael:

Modifying the us_addr.cls was a file that you could modify for street types for locators created prior to ArcMap 10.0 and in ArcView GIS 3.x, so modifying the us_addr.cls would have no affect on a locator built using ArcMap 10.0 or later, or any version of ArcGIS Pro. The technical article referenced in the original post was for ArcView GIS 3.x.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kristie:

The following technical articles most closely describe how to make the change you are looking for in the *.loc.xml of the locator built with the Create Address Locator tool. You would want to search for the "Suffix types" section and add 'PW' to the list of aliases for Parkway if you want that abbreviation recognized. We do not recommend modifying the the xml of the locator, but if you do, Tech Support wouldn't be able to provide help in maintaining the customized locator.

How To: Add a custom highway to the address locator style 

How To: Add city aliases to the address locator style 

Given that you are transitioning to ArcGIS Pro, I would suggesting building the locator with your existing data using the Create Locator tool using the StreetAddress role to see if that resolves the issue. The locator created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro cannot be used in ArcMap unless it has been published as a service from ArcGIS Pro.

-Shana

0 Kudos