Why Can't a Layer be De-Registered with the SDE

05-11-2016 05:34 PM
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

I've not found a way in the new ESRI world to unregister a SDE layer. The only option catalogue gives me is to delete it. Does anyone know how to just unregister the layer???

We can't do this for SQL Server or Oracle.

At time of Post - ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3.1

EDIT: Currently ArcGIS for Desktop 10.8.1 (Still have this problem)

The problem is that the only other option is to delete the table which means all the triggers, data, indexes and EVERYTHING to do with that table is lost. That is a very destructive functionality for an enterprise application.

If this can't be done then why?

9 Replies
UmakantJoglekar2
New Contributor III

You may try running commands mentioned in technical article #18341 using 10.2.1 command line against 10.3 geodatabase. This SHOULD work per below article:

44300 - Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases?

MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Umakant Joglekar​ this is correct. We are currently using that approach. The problem is that ESRI have made it clear that command line tools from those versions of ArcGIS will NOT be supported going forward. If that's the intention then we need the ability to deregister a table without being destructive.

There is this big risk that one day we will have to jump into the database and manually edit the SDE. Sure, that is fun but not ideal. Running database scripts in all the environments is not as nice as a button in ArcMap which does a simple task.

0 Kudos
juliaharrell2
New Contributor II

>>The problem is that the only other option is to delete the table which means all the triggers, data, indexes

>>and EVERYTHING to do with that table is lost. That is unacceptable functionality for an enterprise application

<sigh> 3 yrs later and they STILL have not provided a replacement for the sde command line "unregister with the geodatabase" function, and this is STILL unacceptable functionality for an enterprise application </sigh>

c'mon ESRI - what's wrong w/ y'all 

MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Here I am again, back at my Original Post. Any progress here Esri Technical Support

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Probably check ArcGIS Ideas‌ for any similar Ideas already suggested. If not, submit a new one and let other members, who feel this is needed and useful, vote on that idea.

0 Kudos
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

There is now an idea posted - https://community.esri.com/ideas/17869 

RémyGourrat
New Contributor III

I voted Yes ! No destructive operation to go out from sde.

0 Kudos
ClaudioRuschel
New Contributor III

It is more than an idea, it is an obvious requisite, like a regular CRUD operation. If you register a table "by accident"; you must have the resource to undo the operation.