Planar vs Geodesic Area/Length?

Jump to solution
03-08-2019 10:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've read a little about Planar vs Geodesic measurements on the web, but am still a little confused.  Here's a couple questions that might help me wrap my head around it.

Which is better to use to report area/line lengths?  I'm working in western North Carolina in ArcGIS Pro using NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200_Feet.  I notice using the "Measure Features" tool that the area differences (between Geodesic and Planar) are nearly non-existent over small areas, but 4 acres different over a 20,000 acre area.

Why does the "Calculate Geometry" tool not have a planar area measurement option?  But does offer two perimeter length measurement options?

Does the "Measure Features" tool default to the coordinate system of the map?  I had a map that was in WGS84, and was getting some seemingly very wrong answers, presumably because it was unable to calculate area in the Geographic Coordinate system?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

plain Mercator is an xy graph basically.  conformal projections are generally good since they try to preserve distance, shape area etc as much as they can.  UTM is an example

0 Kudos
MannyGimond
New Contributor III

I got a confirmation from ESRI that this is indeed a bug (BUG-000122213). A few projections do not offer the planar option. This is not by design and will be fixed in future versions of the software.

FYI, a temporary fix is to compute the geodesic area using the field calculator and the Python expression:

!Shape!.getArea("geodesic","squaremiles") 

The aforementioned fix applied to a geodesic measurement, to calcuate a planar area, use the Python expression:

!Shape!.getArea("planar", "squaremiles")

This will require that the data layer be in the desired projection before computing the planar area since the coordinate system cannot be defined in the Calculate Field tool.

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

I certainly hope they get it fixed soon, really no reason to select a coordinate system for the calculation, if the properties are restricted by the coordinate system of the data. I believe projection on the fly is a wonderful thing, no need to have multiple copies of the same data in order to run various types of analysis.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And not the final word... but more to think about.

Even with densification, not all things can be treated as equal

ShannonBelmont
New Contributor

well Duh.  I didn't test putting projected data in the map. Seems very obvious now that I know this was the "glitch".

It seems like a big change from Desktop, to not be able to rely on projecting on the fly and 'borrowing' a projection from the data frame.  But with your explanation of extent densification, I see why Esri is trying to control or constrain the trouble many blindly get into.    

And about your comment on web mercator auxilliary sphere!  Most of my instruction about CSs is to demonstrate how ridiculous measurements are if left in Web Mercator.  Esri has taken two major lab exercises off the table with this change.

At first I was resistant to the idea of HAVING to reproject data because I've always been told there is a small erosion in the precision of the data each time you permanently change projection. I thought projecting on the fly was a great way to use display coordinate systems to supply the best CS for the analysis or measurement. But maybe I am simply resistant to change. And also working from a much more rudimentary place than others like yourself. 

I am coming at this from the perspective of an instructor, not from the research or hard core analysis side. I am trying to demonstrate some of these basic concepts with CSs.  I'll just have to get more creative. 

I'll be reading up on densification. Thanks a lot for this conversation, Dan. I've never used GeoNet before and found this to be incredibly helpful. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good luck Shannon.  PS, I taught University level GIS for 28 of my 33 years... you will never stop learning

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

not 100% sure but believe Arcmap has used planar to calculate area without a choice? Really can't calculate for GCS like WGS84, guessing software that seems to do that, reprojects on the fly into something that can be calculated.

As you noted, it would depend on the scale of the analysis you are doing as to which might be better. Also, pretty sure most plats and things never calculated geodesic values for length or area.

0 Kudos