Changing the default photo name

02-24-2017 05:42 AM
KevinBrown10
New Contributor III

Is it possible to change the default naming convention of the #photos collected from within the Survey123 app by using the value entered in a previous question?  

Previous posts have shown me that you can manually change the photo name by typing from within the survey but I would like something more data driven to change the default settings.  

Currently the default contains the field name followed by the date and time.  I would like to keep this convention but would like to add an additional data driven field in the name.  An example would be I have photos set up in a repeat.  The first question in the repeat is Sample Location.  Can I have the Sample Location value automatically be added to file name of the photograph? 

Thanks for the help.

Tags (1)
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Craig,

No, it is not currently possible to change the filename based on dynamic labelling. We have an enhancement in our backlog for this however no update on progress.

Phil.

DrewThompson
New Contributor III

Hi Philip,

Do you have any updates on this feature? Is it being considered/implemented?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Drew,

As of this time, there is not an update regarding this potential enhancement.  I'll note that the Survey123 team tends to prioritize new features based on demand; in particular, voting on Set default photo name in Survey123 Connect/web designer and/or attaching your organization to the Esri Support Enhancement (ENH-000119299) will help gauge the demand/impact for this.

DrewThompson
New Contributor III

Thanks James!

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

I hope this enhancement is still being considered. I run a process every week to rename photos. Since using Survey I have had to rename thousands of pictures collected through the app. Data driven naming would still be a useful time saver.

Brita, if you are looking for software to assist in renaming exported files, I use Advanced Renamer. It's fast, cheap, easy to use, and has worked out well for us.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you export to a file system you can rename. Just posted it here  https://community.esri.com/thread/245924-data-driven-image-naming 

0 Kudos
Christman
New Contributor II

Yeah we need this!

0 Kudos