Some FAQs I had about the Citizen Problem Reporter Solution

07-26-2017 08:49 AM
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

I have spent some time this month trying to understand how the Citizen Problem Reporter solution works There are a lot of basic questions I had that I couldn't find answers to on the Get Started page or elsewhere on the world wide web. 

I thought I'd share some of the answers I've figured out with the automated deployment of the Citizen Problem Reporter Solution and see if anyone else has other questions/solutions!

Question

Answer

Why do I only see "Configured group is invalid or no items have been shared with this group yet." on my Reporter application?

This has to do with the fact that the configured group does not contain at least one map with at least one editable layer that is accessible to the current user. If the group does contain an editable map with an editable layer, then check the sharing. It may be that you haven't updated the sharing of the group or if you have, perhaps you are not Signing In with the proper account -- Sign in with ArcGIS if it isn't shared publicly. I kept trying to sign-in as Guest longer than I care to admit.

Why can't I see the image tab on a selected report in the Citizen Problem Manager?

This tab is only visible when the selected report contains at least one image attachment, or images and charts defined as part of the popup configuration.‎

Why can't the user attach photos to reports?

Attachments aren't enabled. When you do this process automatically, the layers are automatically uploaded to AGO. The attachment section of the form where photos and other supporting files can be added to the report is only available when attachments are enabled on the layer.‎ This can be easily done by going to the feature layer in AGO and clicking "Enable Attachments".

Enabling attachments on feature layer on AGO

How do I add fields in the form of the Reporter?

1. Open ArcGIS Pro.
  2. Go to the Share tab and click on the ArcGIS Solutions button.
  3. The Task Pane will open. Click Configure an ArcGIS Solution.
  4. The first step is Adding Fields (note: you can skip this step).
  5. For Input Table, navigate to My Content and click the published feature layer that you want to add the field to. You have the option to select the Report Layer or the Comment Table for the this. Which form are you editing? What the person reporting sees (Report Layer) or what the person commenting on the report sees (Comment Table)?
  6. Give it a Field Name, define the Field Type, and Field Alias.
  7. Check if you want it to be required.
  8. The Field Domains field is for if you already have domains created.
    If you want to create domains, that is in the next step.
  9. Click Run.
  10. Once the Run finishes, you may continue adding fields, or move on to
    the
    Next Step.
  11. Here you can Modify Domains. If you want a field to be a drop down menu, configure some Field Domains! If you don't want it to be drop down (and, instead, just a field) Skip this part.
  12. Now navigate to the map on AGO the feature layer is on (for example the Snow/Ice feature layer will be on the Snow/Ice Problems Web Map)
  13. Click on the three dots next to the layer of the form you want to edit and click on Configure Pop-up (for example, if you  want to edit the form that commenters see, do this for the Snow/Ice Complaint Comments Table
  14. Then ensure that the Display and Edit check boxes are checked for the fields you want to display and edit. Here you can also change its alias, change the order of it, and format it.

How do I delete fields in the form of the Reporter?

Open ArcGIS Pro. Add the Report Layer or Comment Table that the field is located in
    to the map and open its attribute table. Right click the field you want
    to remove. Click delete.

How do I turn off fields in the form of the Reporter?

If you don't want to display a field, but you aren't ready to delete it, go to the AGO web map that the layer is on. Go to Configure Pop-Up and then click Configure Attributes and just uncheck the Display.

Why can't the user edit the fields in the form?

First, when you are creating the field in the Configuration Task via ArcGIS Solutions, it's vital that you give the field a Field Length. The other issue may be that editing isn't enabled on the layer or in the pop-up. When you are in the AGO web map, Configure Pop-Up and then click Configure Attributes  and ensure that the Editing box is checked in addition to the Display check box.

How can manipulate how every report/comment looks?

As far as I can't tell, you can't change the look of the form itself. However, once the report/comment is posted, you can change how this looks. This again happens in the AGO Web Map layer pop-up. When you go to Configure Pop-Up you have a few options. Under Pop-up Contents --> Display dropdown, change it to A custom attribute display --> then CONFIGURE. Here, you can add your own text and pull information from the report/comment fields (by clicking the + box; see image below).  Scroll to the bottom where it says Pop-up Media. Here you can add a standard image/chart to all of the posted reports/comments.

How do I change colors and text in the Reporter?

IMPORTANT NOTE: it is highly recommended that when these changes are made to Reporter maps/layers/applications, they are also made to the respective maps/layers/applications in the Manager for consistency and clarity purposes.

Change things on Reporter pages

# In Pic Above

Description

Website to go to

Thing to change

Application Logo

Configure the Reporter Web App

Theme tab --> Application logo --> Paste link here

Application Title

General tab --> Application title
    Theme tab --> Header text color

Header Color

Theme tab --> Header background color

Basemap

Configure the specific AGO Web Map for the issue category (in this case you are configuring the Animal Control Problems map; it's the first map that pops on the Reporter).

You can also add any layers you want and they'll show up.

Symbology

Configure the AGO Web Map for the issue category

--> You can have one symbol for all the reports in the issue category, or have a different one for each type of problem (change this in the Style window Choose an attribute to show; either show location only or choose an attribute such as Type of Problem) --> Click options to define the symbol you want to use.

Note: it doesn't appear that the heatmap option works.

Issue Category Image

Configure the Item Details of the issue category Web Map

Edit the Thumbnail of the map

Issue Category Name

Edit the title of the map

Issue Category Description

Edit the Summary and Description of the map

Issue Category Pane Color

Theme tab --> Body Background Color

# In Pic Above

Description

Website to go to

Thing to change

Issue Category title

Configure the specific AGO Web Map for the issue category

Rename the feature layer in it

Report Title

Configure the specific AGO Web Map for the issue category

Configure the pop-up title for the layer. You can make the title be based on static text or dynamic text based on the report

# In Pic Above

Description

Website to go to

Thing to change

Response after a citizen reports a report

Form tab --> Submission Message --> write your message in the box

Form fields

Configure the specific feature layers & AGO web maps

See FAQ questions and answers:

How do I add fields in the form of the Reporter?

How do I delete fields in the form of the Reporter?

How do I turn off fields in the form of the Reporter?

Report It Button

Theme tab --> Button text color and button background color

Do you have other solutions or questions? I'd love to hear them!

66 Replies
    JaredPilbeam2
    MVP Regular Contributor

Chris,

Looks like the variable 'path' needs defined:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
    NameError: name 'path' is not defined
    0 Kudos
    ChrisFox
    Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry try this:

import sys, os

path_to_files = r'C:\Temp\scripts'

sys.path.insert(0, path_to_files)

import servicefunctions

servicefunctions.main(os.path.join(path_to_files, 'servicefunctions.json'))

0 Kudos
    JaredPilbeam2
    MVP Regular Contributor

Here's the result:

ERROR: Failed to process service https://services.arcgis.com/fGsbyIOAuxHnF97m/arcgis/rest/services/CitizenProblems_landuse/FeatureServer/0
    'FeatureLayer' object has no attribute '_lazy_properties'
    ERROR: Failed to process service https://services.arcgis.com/fGsbyIOAuxHnF97m/arcgis/rest/services/CitizenProblems_bb0fbdc850114e6f8c11c32b9768e643/FeatureServer/0
    [WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
    0 Kudos
    GregThistle
    New Contributor II

Does anyone know if there is a way to removed the sign in/splash screen altogether? I love the actual reporting screen but I don't want the sign in screen.

0 Kudos
    AllisonMuise1
    Occasional Contributor III

Yes - the splash page will not display if you turn off all the sign in options (including Guest) in the application configuration.

GregThistle
    New Contributor II

Thank you!

0 Kudos
    GregThistle
    New Contributor II

Does anyone know if there is a way to add a button on the dialog content box? I'm using it as a disclaimer popup on the app launch, and would like to add a Ok button to the bottom of it rather than the X. I've tried a couple of things in HTML but not having much luck.

0 Kudos
    JaredPilbeam2
    MVP Regular Contributor

I'm having problems configuring the Generate IDs section of Citizen Problem Reporter. I believe I have it set up correctly, but after running the servicefunctions.py script from VS Code 2019 I get a warning in the console and the Citizen Reporter layer table was not populated.

"WARNING: Sequence Unique ID not found in sequence settings"

I posted this question in more detail in Local:

WARNING: Sequence Unique ID not found in sequence settings 

0 Kudos
    BillLotz
    Occasional Contributor II

Any plans to make this available in Enterprise, or will it just remain on AGOL?

0 Kudos
    ChrisFox
    Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bill,

The solution leverages a capability not currently available in Enterprise (hosted feature layer join views). When this capability is added to Enterprise we will be able to support the solution in that version of Enterprise.

0 Kudos