Public Survey/Private Data and Feature Reports

Jump to solution
12-12-2019 10:10 AM
DanteLee
Occasional Contributor II

I've been trying to connect some dots, and I haven't found the information I'm looking for. Here is my scenario:

I have a public survey (published from Survey123 Connect) that's collecting some sensitive data. I've followed the steps in Getting Started with Public Surveys to secure the data, such that Add features is allowed and Editors can't see any features, even those they add. As the owner, I can see the data, and it isn't viewable by the public. Perfect.

However, when I go to the Survey123 website and view the Data tab for that survey, the data can't be loaded. (I am logged in as the owner of the survey.) This also prevents me from creating feature reports.

So am I missing a setting I can leverage? Or is this just how it is at the moment? Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Edit to add: is it possible to direct the Data view on the S123 website to a different feature layer view?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dante,

The issue you are running into is BUG-000110691.

To summarize the issue solution, here is the comments from the salesforce issue:

-"Editors can't see any features, even those they add" disables query for everyone, including the data owner.
-The data page points to the actual feature service if you are signed in as the owner, but it points the the feature service view if you are signed in as anyone else.
-If you change the feature service permissions to "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" then you will lock out the owner, as query against the service is disabled.
-If you change the permissions for the view to "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" then you will lock out everyone else, as query will be disabled for the feature service view.
-We don't generally recommend that users change the permissions directly in AGOL for reasons such as this.

However, you can workaround this by creating a view to control the permission.

Here is the workaround another user is using, for your reference:

Create a hosted VIEW (when viewing the initial hosted layer in AGOL, click the "create new layer" button) and apply your conservative settings to this (i.e. "editors can't see anything, even data they submit"), change to sharing to everyone and use this in your S123 form. Then change your original to a master/admin version with full editing conrtols but is shared only to you. I also create several other views for each set of data: a staff-only, read-only (so others in your org can view the full set of data); a staff edit version (if others might need to edit the data); and a public, read-only view (so public can see data in webmap but they only see a limited set of attributes).

You can find the above info from the comments in the same post you were referencing as well.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dante,

The issue you are running into is BUG-000110691.

To summarize the issue solution, here is the comments from the salesforce issue:

-"Editors can't see any features, even those they add" disables query for everyone, including the data owner.
-The data page points to the actual feature service if you are signed in as the owner, but it points the the feature service view if you are signed in as anyone else.
-If you change the feature service permissions to "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" then you will lock out the owner, as query against the service is disabled.
-If you change the permissions for the view to "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" then you will lock out everyone else, as query will be disabled for the feature service view.
-We don't generally recommend that users change the permissions directly in AGOL for reasons such as this.

However, you can workaround this by creating a view to control the permission.

Here is the workaround another user is using, for your reference:

Create a hosted VIEW (when viewing the initial hosted layer in AGOL, click the "create new layer" button) and apply your conservative settings to this (i.e. "editors can't see anything, even data they submit"), change to sharing to everyone and use this in your S123 form. Then change your original to a master/admin version with full editing conrtols but is shared only to you. I also create several other views for each set of data: a staff-only, read-only (so others in your org can view the full set of data); a staff edit version (if others might need to edit the data); and a public, read-only view (so public can see data in webmap but they only see a limited set of attributes).

You can find the above info from the comments in the same post you were referencing as well.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

DanteLee
Occasional Contributor II

Ah, thanks. It was a long thread, and I admittedly didn't get all the way down there. Still not able to view the data as the owner on the S123 website, but I'll continue the conversation on that thread.

0 Kudos