Copy or move story maps to another account?

Jump to solution
08-02-2019 08:55 AM
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

We can copy Classic Esri Story Maps to other user accounts using ArcGIS Online Assistant. This is really useful when we want to transfer ownership of a story map, or when we're running training sessions and want to copy across materials. Will it be possible to copy the new ArcGIS StoryMaps to other accounts? If so, is there a time frame for when this feature will be implemented? This will help us to plan our transition to the new story maps for our upcoming training sessions and partnership projects.

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
28 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Anneka -- Copying items between accounts in different orgs needs to be a capability added by the ArcGIS platform (or an Esri business parter), so it isn't something any specific Esri app team like StoryMaps would likely tackle. There may be an idea to vote for on the GeoNet ArcGIS Ideas community or a thread on the ArcGIS Online community to discuss that.

Admin tools is a 3rd party tool from an Esri business partner, so that's a question for them.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SaharPour
New Contributor

The Admin Tools for ArcGIS℠ Online Will helps to get a copy of StoryMaps inside the organisation.

But I'm looking forward to the previous copy option that exists in the earlier version of StoryMap for copying the story-maps from one account to another by ago-assistant.

0 Kudos
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

Also looking forward to it! Owen Evans‌ any update on this?

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Anneka France and others on this thread -- The ability to create a copy of a story was added in the April 2020 update to ArcGIS StoryMaps last week. You can create a copy of any story you own, and members with administrative privileges can copy any story in the organization. See this blog for the announcement, and please let us know if you have any feedback on this new feature. What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (April 2020) 

Also, people interested in this topic may want to see these threads for more information about the current status of the community-support, open-source AGO Assistant tool and some misconceptions about its ability to fully clone new and classic stories.

Can you transfer a Story to another ESRI account? 

Duplicate storymap (new version) 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

It is possible to clone a Story Map (or a feature layer, map, app, etc.) from one AGOL account to another using a Python script. This will create a copy of the Story Map with uploaded images in your AGOL account. However, it may not copy other dependent items such as web maps.

This workflow is explained in more details in the article linked below:

from arcgis.gis import GIS

gis1 = GIS("https://arcgis.com", 'USERNAME','PASSWORD')
gis2 = GIS("https://arcgis.com", 'USERNAME', 'PASSWORD')

items = gis1.content.search(query='id:ITEM_ID', sort_field='id', sort_order='desc')

print(str(len(items)) + " items will be cloned. See the list below:")
items

def deep_copy_content(input_list):
   for item in input_list:
      try:
         print("Cloning " + item.title)
         copy_list = []
         copy_list.append(item)
         gis2.content.clone_items(copy_list, copy_data=True, search_existing_items=True)
         print("Successfully cloned " + item.title)
      except Exception as e:
         print(e)
   print("The function has completed")
deep_copy_content(items)

All the best,

MJ

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will we be able to copy to other organizations eventually too? I am trying to transfer ownership of a StoryMap I built to another account outside of my organization.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to do the same as Casey , above.  Is there a way to do this? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, you can copy a story to another organization. This can be done using the latest version of the ArcGIS Assistant tool.

For more information, see Common Workflows | ArcGIS Assistant User Guide (esri-ps.com)

Owen Evans
SarahBlake
New Contributor III

What about the scenario of my college students want to copy their final-project StoryMap over to a personal ESRI account they may create after graduation in order to retain access to their work, to show potential employers or other schools? This solution would not seem to work in this scenario as personal accounts don't offer apps like StoryMap, correct? I'm trying to convert the work format for my GIS Certificate students' final project from an old-style word or .pdf doc to something more portable like StoryMaps, but the 'portability' factor doesn't seem to be there yet....

-Sarah Blake, GIS Instructor, 

Skagit Valley College,

Mount Vernon, WA

AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

This information needs to be more easily found.  I had submitted a support ticket with esri prior to finding this answer, and my response from them was that it wasn't possible.  So even esri tech support seems confused by this question.

0 Kudos