Designing reports in BA Web but using locally installed data to generate the report?

09-25-2019 06:36 AM
BryanChandler1
New Contributor II

Starting to work with the newest 2019 data and have dreaded updating previous year reports in ArcMap.  I found a blog post by Kyle Watson that shows how you can switch between local and portal for reports, but doing so seems to also change the data source defeating the purpose of having the data locally installed, potentially preventing someone from running reports if they are in an area without internet or causing us to spend credits after purchasing the BA for ArcGIS Pro. 

So a couple of questions:

• Is there a way to download the reports from BA Web/AGOL and save locally?
  • Is there any documentation that might explain how to set up the reports using the older ArcMap Designer with instructions on where to save them for Pro to access?
  • If BA Web is going to provide the designer experience, can the two systems use the same headers for reports and be more aligned in naming structure?

ArcGIS Pro BA

BA Web

I'd love to be able to move all of my current workflows over to Pro, but the above has continually forced me back to ArcMap. 

Thanks,

Bryan

1 Reply
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

Bryan,

I am not on the Business Analyst product team so not sure what is on tap as full fledged custom report designer on the local Business Analyst Pro side.  What you can do now is build a custom report or infographic in the web app (BAO). This gets saves as an item in your portal, which you can then run on the Pro side.

This is strictly my own opinion that on the Business Analyst Desktop side of things the probability of any further enhancement related functionality between it and Business Analyst Pro I would think is strongly doubtful.

If you have some ideas what you would like to see on the BA Pro side definitely creating a post over in the ArcGIS Ideas portal is a good idea.

ArcGIS Ideas 

Regards,
Jason R.