Network Analysis with Airplane Routes

12-04-2019 05:13 PM
CallieNewhouse
New Contributor

I'm hoping someone knows an answer or how to complete this project.

I have a cities point layer and am using two main cities with airports to fly out of and have 3 connection cities they could connect to and then there are 2 destination cities that those connections could connect to. So there are 7 cities in total. There are 12 possible routes all together to go from a starting city to a connection city to a destination. I had to research the times of actual flights and layovers and prices of hotels if you'd have to stay overnight at the connection city and I found it all, but am struggling with what to put in the fields for the cities and lines layers to allow the network analysis to work correctly. I have the cities layer and a line layer that I made all the routes for. The problem is that there could be one route that does have a layover in a connection city but another route that goes through the same connection city but doesn't require a hotel (added in price). Is there a way to somehow make the cities point layer have certain values for certain lines/routes in the routes/line layer? Hopefully I am explaining this right.

After I have the correct information for the fields for the cities and routes layers I would make them into a network and then do a route solver on it I think. I haven't done that yet and I find it confusing so hopefully it will work for me and I will be able to figure it out.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You can have attribute weights on junctions. These junctions could be created from your city points. But the challenge is when multiple edges coming and going out should not have the same junction weight. So the alternative is to have turn costs. You can have multiple, overlapping, edges coming in and going out of a city. For each in/out pair of edges you can digitize a turn feature (going through that junction) and assign it a cost.

Hope that gives you some options to create the network that you are trying to model.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos