Create tilepackage (.tpk) from openstreetmap

02-06-2014 05:34 AM
FredericLe_Put
New Contributor II
Hi,

I use arcmap 10.2. I add an Openstreetmap basemap. I do file share as Tile Package. i do an analyse and i have this error message :
severity high
status unresolved
code 00005
Layer type is not supported.

Is there a way to create a tile package from an openstreetmap ?

Thanx,

Fred, Brittany, France.
5 Replies
FredericLe_Put
New Contributor II
Perhaps found a workaround with a map conversion but i don't know how to convert my openstreet map base map in a format which could be exported in a .tpk file.

Help please...

Fred.
0 Kudos
RubenReguero_Quirantes
New Contributor
Hi,

I think you must use the creation tile package. Arctoolbox-data management-package-tilespackage...

Best regards
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Fred-

Tiled map services are one of the unsupported data types that cannot be added to ArcMap and exported to a TPK. While the OSM basemap isn't available, you could look at using the new TileCacheTask class to generate an offline basemap for a few of other other tiled basemaps.
0 Kudos
SeanBerry
New Contributor
the url's on the page do not work.  are there other means to download pre-packaged .tpk files (as it takes hours to create your own via ArcMaP)?
0 Kudos
JasonKnisley
Occasional Contributor
If you have ArcGIS Server, it's significantly faster to use that for caching instead, as it's multi-threaded and last time I checked ArcMap caching was not. Publish a service to ArcGIS Server using whatever cache settings are appropriate for what you're trying to accomplish. I recommend selecting "Build cache manually after the service is published" and then, in ArcCatalog, right-click on the service and select Manage Cache > Manage Tiles to manually start the caching job with n number of caching server instances (which will be limited based on the maximum number of instances you have set in the System\Caching Tools service on your server). After that's done you can right-click on the service again and select Manage Cache > Export Cache and then chance the export cache type to TILE_PACKAGE. I recommend doing this on 10.2+ as this workflow in previous versions was error prone due to some bugs that appear to have now been fixed. While ArcMap *can* cache, it's really not optimized for it.
0 Kudos