can I create a group in a survey I have published

11-07-2019 11:15 AM
JenniferStack
New Contributor II

Hi can you look at my survey i created in Survey123.

I have published the Survey, i need to ask for help to retro edit and go back and split a segment of the survey into 2 groups in order to direct the submitter to a: "you answered no now answer" or

"you answered yes" this prompts the submitter to go in two different directions for two questions but then return back to the same set of questions, I have tried to set a rule for this multiple yes choices(3) or one no choice. I can only set the rule to "you answered no" brings up two questions back to back the submitter must answer to if they have selected no. That's perfect. The problem is when I set a rule for the three additional selections that all require the submitter to bypass the two " you selected no" questions, and be directed to the single question titled "you answered yes". I positioned the two no questions right after the selection question to accommodate the no selection. I then have the single "you answered yes" question positioned after the two no questions, Therefore I only have to set one rule you selected yes jump the two no questions to arrive at the yes. I then set the instructions to: if you select no go to question titled "you selected no..now select why, right after that the submitter meets the second "You selected no..now select why. I set the rule for "you selected yes to skip the two "you selected no questions, and to go to "you selected yes" but when I test the survey and I select yes, I am not directed to the "you selected yes..I am directed to the "you selected no" but I keep setting the rule for you selected yes but it will not work

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

Can you please attach your XLSForm? Hopefully I will then be able to follow the logic you are trying to achieve and provide some advice. Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
JenniferStack
New Contributor II

Dear Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

Below is a link to the completed and released survey. if you open the survey you can view my issue, the 3rd question in the survey ask for a yes or no answer, if yes the submitter is directed to a yes related question, it they select no, the submitter should be directed to a question at the end of the survey. I tried may different ways to achieve this...because the simple option does not seem to work. I did set a rule...if no go to no...but this will not activate?

at this stage I'm more curious of what I've overlooked when setting the rule, as I had to release the survey

I am replying to ley you know where I'm at with the query.

What school in Ireland do you teach at?

Kindest Regards,

Jennifer Stack

CBS The Green Secondary School, Tralee

GIS, Digital Media and Coding

0 Kudos
JenniferStack
New Contributor II

The link

https://arcg.is/P4e41

<https://arcg.is/P4e41>

Survey123 for ArcGIS<https://arcg.is/P4e41>

Survey123 for ArcGIS is a complete, form-centric solution for creating smart surveys & forms, collecting data via web or mobile devices and analyzing results. Start your free trial.

arcg.is

Sorry I should have included in last email

Jennifer Stack

CBS The Green Secondary School, Tralee

GIS, Digital Media and Coding

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

To answer your title question for this post, “can I create a group in a survey I have published” – yes! Just add a group and drag your existing questions into this new group. This new group won’t inherit any rules you have already set up from the questions, so you may need to update your rules to reference the new group.

Would you like to hide all of the survey questions (excluding the last additional comments question) until the user confirms that they have a son in the first year of secondary school (Q4)? If so, you will need to set a rule on Q4 that defines what survey questions become relevant/visible once the user selects ‘yes’ to Q4, for example:

If                         Show

yes                      Q 5. Has your child received other vaccines before?

yes                      Q 7. Vaccines are important for my child's health.

yes                      Q 8. My Child being vaccinated is important for the health of the community.

yes                      Q 9.  Information I receive from the HSE on vaccine programs is reliable.

etc etc … You need to list all the questions here that you want to be initially visible on confirmation that the user has a son in first year secondary school. Remember, you can continue to set rules to make more questions relevant based on answers to other questions.

For example, you may want to set rules on Q5 similar to:

If                         Show

Yes                      Q 6. You answered YES to Q5

No                       Q 6. You answered NO to Q5

While it’s definitely possible to implement the logic you need using rules in the Survey123 web designer, it is limited to Single Choice, Dropdown, Likert and Rating questions. These limitations don’t exist when using the ‘relevant’ expressions in Survey123 Connect (the desktop app) to create your survey. You may also find it easier to set up more complex logic using Survey123 Connect, I know I do. Here is a blog post and short tutorial video on using relevant expressions in your survey.

Hope this helps,

Brett

0 Kudos