Creating TIN in ArcGIS from triangular elements

11-21-2019 02:20 PM
SamPettett
New Contributor

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to build a TIN in ArcGIS from a shapefile made up of triangles with values attached to the triangles.

Essentially I have a TIN in shapfile format and don't want or need any sort of interpolation of the data. All I want is to be view/use the TIN in ArcGIS.

None of the tools under 3D Analyst Tools > Data Management > TIN allow me to do this, i've tried most if not all of the combinations....hard replace which you would think would work, does work but only for a few triangles at a time and i'm working with millions. 

I've found an old article on stack exchange asking the same thing ( Creating TINs in ArcGIS from triangular elements? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange ) and tried LandXML to TIN too and it hasn't worked. The stack exchange post refers to notifying ESRI regarding this issue and was wondering if there has been any progress?

Cheers

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sam, is this a duplicate of this question Creating TINs in ArcGIS from triangular elements asked in AEC? If you would like to have a question appear in multiple places you can use the Share feature to have your original place appear in multiple places where you think it may be relevant. 

Sharing Content with Multiple Places 

Hope this helps you get your question to a wider community audience. 

0 Kudos
SamPettett
New Contributor

Yes it is a duplicate…thanks for your response….actually I think it’s better placed in the second location, but I’ll use the share functionality.

Cheers