Polygons from text file

11-15-2019 11:25 AM
MaryFlores
New Contributor

So I'm trying to write a script that answers this prompt:

The property owned by the company has been surveyed and the data is housed in text files on the company server. Impress your superiors by writing a Python script that creates polygons from these files.

I'm very much new to using python and I am unsure of how to go about this. I've started a script, but I can't quite get it to work.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Unfortunately myself and some others will not open a python script or zip file that someone has attached.

However, don't use python.  string together sets of geoprocessing tools and you can draw the polygons.

and if your only talking a few polygons (less than 2 or 300) just draw them on.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Regarding:

I've started a script, but I can't quite get it to work.

Instead of just attaching an entire script, often it is better to post questions regarding specific issues you are having. For example, "I can't quite get it to work."  What are you getting for results?  Errors?  If so, post the error along with traceback.  If you are getting unexpected results, what is unexpected about them.

You can post code and highlight it directly in GeoNet:  Posting code with Syntax Highlighting on GeoNet‌ and https://community.esri.com/people/curtvprice/blog/2014/09/25/posting-code-blocks-in-the-new-geonet?s...‌.

0 Kudos