Error: The Layer, ######, cannot be added to the map

09-07-2017 09:13 AM
EricShreve
Occasional Contributor II

I recently upgraded our ArcGIS Server 10.1 to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 and have begun to publish map/feature services through ArcMap 10.5.1. I am able to successfully publish content to our ArcGIS Server from ArcMap and add content/data in ArcGIS Online.

I am beginning the process of migrating from ArcGIS Online to Portal and want to publish content from ArcGIS Pro to Portal for ArcGIS. While in ArcGIS Pro, I attempt to share my data as a web layer and run the geoprocessing task and I am prompted with success that the data has published as a map service. When I access my Portal I attempt to visualize the data by adding it to a new map and am promoted with this error message "Error: The Layer, #####, cannot be added to the map." Additionally, when I copy the service URL and try adding it into AGOL to a new map, I am promoted with the same error message. I want to know if there is anything simple that I am missing with publishing data or do I need to contact ESRI Tech Support.

Things to Note:

ArcGIS Pro -- 2.0

Portal for ArcGIS -- 10.5.1

Server for ArcGIS -- 10.5.1

0 Kudos
16 Replies
EricShreve

It appears that is the problem that you are running into. Do you know if the cert is signed by a CA?

Self-signed certs will have issues when you try to pass it through a browser.

0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

It's not right now, we're working on getting it signed. That's why I'm hoping it'll fix the issue! 

0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Just an update in case anyone else stumbles across this in the future: I changed our old certificate to the signed one and the problem resolved. 

0 Kudos
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

HELP.  I'm also having this issue suddenly.  "The Layer.......cannot be added to the map"  It started on Sunday (when we turned the clocks back).  I assumed that maybe this was the issue and decided to wait a while, but no luck.  I am attaching a screen shot of my console.  Can you help?  I am not working from home.

0 Kudos
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

Also, I am working from Greece, just mentioning incase this may be part of the issue, although never caused a problem before.  I reset my router.  Nothing.  I am not savvy on the previous comments about ssl certificates etc. Although it doesn't appear to be a certificate issue based on the dev console.

0 Kudos
EricShreve

Do you know if you CA certificate expired?

0 Kudos
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

Thanks for responding.  It ends up that this was an issue from the data source.  Their servers were down!  All is good now.  Thanks.

0 Kudos