AGOL Web Map Not Honoring Correct Polygon Feature  Drawing Order

10-28-2019 03:11 PM
CurtHarvey
New Contributor III

Using a feature service of fire polygons adding to a web map, the features are NOT drawn in the correct order! (yes I am sure). In ArcMap and ArGIS Pro they are drawn in the correct order. It doesnt work very well to have older fires drawn ON TOP OF newer fires. Has anyone had this experience with overlapping polygon rendering? VERY VERY FRUSTRATING.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Curt,

I think you may be running into this current limitation in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, which has been logged as an idea here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/11197. You can up-vote the idea, and it has already been marked as under consideration. 

If you don't think this matches the scenario can you attach a sample of your data in a zipped project package or send directly to pklingman@esri.com? I would be happy to test this out with your data/layers on my end. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
CurtHarvey
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Peter. But actually its not even an issue (solely) with maintaining symbol level settings. Its just basic drawing order on OID. And the drawing order randomly changes as well, based on zoom scale.  

Darker reds more recent fires...

Smaller scale: Ellison is older fire (lower OID) and drawn underneath. Lower image zoomed in Ellison now drawn on top.

Small yellowish polygon right side of images should always be drawn underneath all reddish fires. AND darkest red fire (Buzzard 2018) should always be drawn on top of all older fires. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Curt,

Thanks for the included screen shots here. I have responded to your email. The reason that the drawing order isn't respected is that the Map Viewer doesn't include a value for the OrderByField parameter in the query request for the layer while ArcGIS Pro passes OBJECTID ASC. We have an enhancement logged internally for this: ENH-000105192 - as I mentioned in my email if you have an account that can be attached to this, let me know. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos