Project Raster Error: The operation was attempted on an empty geometry

Jump to solution
11-07-2019 06:50 PM
ToniRamirez
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the data for the Global Lithological Map (GLiM) Data base. I projected the raster in its native projection of Eckert IV (World) per Hartmann and Moosdorf, 2012; and I need to project the raster into WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_11N and also change the cell size to 250. I keep getting this error. I am not sure how to go about correcting this error. When I downloaded the data the file name has an extension glim_wgs84_0point5.txt.asc and I thought converting the ACSII to ESRI Grid would help but that didn't work. I tried repairing the geometry but the file isn't available for me to select. I am stuck and not sure what to do. 

Help me!

Raster Data:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.78853

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The original data isn't in Eckert IV, but straight latitude-longitude decimal degrees. Try defining it as the geographic coordinate system 4326 (WGS 1984). 

Melita

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ASCII to Raster—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  I would choose *.tif as the raster format

Make sure it has a properly defined coordinate system.  If not, use the Define Projection to set the initial coordinate system (not the one you want!, but what it is

Project Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop assuming that you used this for the projection.

Repair geometry is only for vector data, you have raster data

ToniRamirez
New Contributor

Hi Dan, 

Just gave this a try and was able to convert to .tif ext but still ran into the issue with projecting the raster to WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_11N and getting the empty geometry error. So in the process of attempting a work around by setting my data frame to WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_11N and then Exporting the raster and saving it in that projection. I noticed the Extent changed from (-180.0000, 90.0000, 180.0000, -90.0000) to (nan, nan, nan, nan,), when I changed the spatial reference. I've attached screen shots if that helps. I am assuming this might be the reason I am running into this error. Any advice?

Best, 

ToniSpatial Reference - Raster DatasetSpatial Reference - Data Frame

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The original data isn't in Eckert IV, but straight latitude-longitude decimal degrees. Try defining it as the geographic coordinate system 4326 (WGS 1984). 

Melita