Tracker generating QR code

10-08-2019 07:02 AM
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

From what I have read, the QR code seems to be intended to streamline the login process for Tracker. My question is, could Tracker, based on the login info captured, generate a QR code, which could then be used by Survey123 to identify the user, speeding up greatly this error prone step

For example, truck drivers would use smartphones with Tracker installed. Our soil tracking field crew using Survey123 would scan their QR code, avoiding the current capturing of licence plate and other related info

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is an interesting use-case. So there are at least two devices in play here, one has Tracker running and the other has Survey123. Basically, you'd like Tracker to generate a QR code that Survey123 can then scan to pre-populate some fields in a new survey. Is that correct? Or would it need to pre-populate an existing survey that they are working on?

This is not supported today and currently is not planned. Tracker only reads QR codes at this time.

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aaron, that's right, it would be very efficient for us if Tracker could generate a QR code to be scanned in an existing Survey123 form. and doing so pre-populate existing fields, speeding the process and eliminating error prone capture. We have 2 projects, one with over 1000 trucks and the other with about half. The flow of trucks in one single day in around 3 to 4 hundreds

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What information/fields would you want transferred from Tracker to Survey123?

Tracker only captures location information most of which which should be accessible in Survey123 by using the pullData functions on geoPoints. See this post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/11/03/extracting-information-from-geopoint-que... 

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

ok yes, the only info i need to get from Tracker is the licence plate. With Survey123 we detail the soil nature being transported, from which starting point, by whom, at what time and day, to which elimination site. We want to add Tracker in order to map the whole truck path, from pickup to destination point using the tracker feature layer. Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How does tracker know what the license plate is?

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

We would previously create a list of QR code with their respective licence plate. In Survey123, we would use the pulldata to get the licence plate. But in order to do that, we first need tracker to generate a QR code, which it does not

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

I guess another way of doing this without tracker would be to have text recognition from photos in Survey123. This way, the field crew could simply take a photo of the license plate and have the license plate question filled from the photo

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I agree. Or you could generate a QR/bar code with the license plate for the specific truck. Then just have the code displayed in the truck on the dashboard or something. Then the field crews could just scan the QR code directly with Survey123.

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Could be long. Its a big project, having over 2500 different trucks from around 80 different companies

0 Kudos