ArcGIS Pro hangs but is not 'not responding'

10-23-2019 06:59 AM
Thomvan_Oijen
New Contributor II

After a few hours of monotonous work while preparing everything for a layout export the application suddenly decided to 'hang'. I can not click anywhere in the application. No buttons work, no sign of interaction except for the placement guides in the layout view. Those move, or rather, moved with my mouse since after a short while I can't even get the application in view. In task manager there is no 'not responding' message and cpu usage is varying between 0 and a few %. With about 1.6gb of ram used, as expected for this project.

The problem occured upon releasing left click while placing a new legend item. Luckily this is no basic functionality.

I'm using up to date ArcGIS Pro on an up to date W10 system.

Is there any way to save the data and work done on the project since the last save?

I know I should save every few minutes. I just forgot.

If I open the project again it opens in read-only (thus indicating that it's still open and active) and it's reverted to the last save.

If only there were an autosave

Thanks,

Thom

Tags (2)
9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It really sounds like a hardware/software issue for your computer rather than Pro.  However, working for several hours without saving the project might be chewing on resources also.

How much HDD space do you have, if less than 15% free some up. defrag your hdd, clear browser history's.  I don't know why but they have an effect.  run disk clean up on your machine.

If you have less at than 8 gb of ram total try adding more.

did you create the project from an existing MXD.

Buy your own admission is key here, save and save often.

Thomvan_Oijen
New Contributor II

300GB space on SSD, Total of 12 GB ram. That shouldn't be the issue.

It's not a recurring problem. I hope.

MXD is somewhat new. I started working on the project a while ago and an update happened since.

I just want to save my data.

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

Sounds like a typical Pro muckup akin to its false "GPU resources exceeded" errors despite ample resources being available. You might be able to get it unstuck by changing the display adapter, e.g. connecting to the machine via Teamviewer or remote desktop. Perhaps try changing the resolution or the screen on and off. Also try Win+M, then shift-rightclick on the icon and restore/maximize.It's probably screwed, though. Cut your losses, edit in Desktop

Thomvan_Oijen
New Contributor II

Not sure if it's a coincidence but as soon as I pressed windows+M the application crashed.

So great. A few hours of work gone.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

first there should never be an instance of a few hours work gone. Learn to save often.

300GB is a lot of space but how much do you have free?

If your original version of the MXD is old I would suggest rebuilding it in the new version of ArcMap first.

Open the mxd and open a new blank session. Go to the layout tab on both and copy all the elements from one to the other.

Also, how big is your mxd.  Anything over 3 or 4k may be to complex to directly import into Pro without issues.

Run MXD Doctor on your MXD and or ArcGIS Document defragmentor.  That will remove any errors

0 Kudos
Thomvan_Oijen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

I made an error. There is no MXD involved. It's an aprx. file.

Indeed saving often would work. However, as soon as I get into hyperfocus saving wont be on my mind. Unfortunately. We need an autosave function that saves every 5 minutes, keeps the last 5 files that are 60 mins apart.

300GB of space is on the disk the file is on. It's free space. 300gb out of 1000gb. The disk arcgis pro is on has only 18gb of free space though. Also an SSD.

Could that be an issue?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Storage is not an issue and you have the ram. I would assume something better than integrated graphics.  It really does not take a lot of GPU to run, but it is good to have.

Autosave would be nice but would cause a LOT more problems.  Meaning saving all the time and you realized you made a mistake and you cannot undo it because it just saved. I have personally lost many hours of work because I could not get into the habit of saving.

Look to other resources on your machine. Look at your startup tasks and turn off any that automatically start that you don't need to start. Many of them you don't need because they will start when you hit the file.  Acrobat (AcroTray) is a good example.

Your project file may just be to big and complicated. However, that is one of the things ESRI said Pro would not have issue with.  There may be some core issues with it however,

Select the option to Share the tab your on.  You don't need to share it but run the analysis on it.  I used to do that with some MXDs and it improved overall performance by fixing errors.

You also may have to many things visible when zoomed way out and your GPU and other video codecs cannot handle it.

LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

Sounds like it was beyond saving then. Win+M just sends the minimize command to all open programs. Did you try the display changing beforehand? Granted that's usually what makes it worse, but the goal here was to get it to notice a change.

Also yes autosave/recovery should be a feature, even MS Paint has it nowadays.

0 Kudos
Thomvan_Oijen
New Contributor II

It was the first thing I tried. However, i'll try to recreate what has happened whenever i'm going to work on it again.

0 Kudos