Search, find, and use ArcGIS Online items in Portal for ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
05-09-2016 11:13 AM
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Edit:  There is now an entry for this in the ArcGIS Ideas area.  If you want it, vote it up...  https://community.esri.com/ideas/12098.

How can our organization's Portal for ArcGIS users search, find, and use publicly shared ArcGIS Online items within their Portal for ArcGIS environment?

I found Derek Law​'s post https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-3385 which contains a PDF which says:

ArcGIS Online Content

Portal for ArcGIS also provides access to all nine basemaps available from ArcGIS Online: Imagery, Imagery with Labels, Streets, Topographic, Terrain with Labels, Light Gray Canvas, National Geographic, Oceans, and OpenStreetMap. Optionally, premium content from ArcGIS Online can also be used with Portal.

So there's that - basemaps and premium content.

Short of adding, describing, and styling each publicly shared ArcGIS Online item to Portal, have you found a way to configure Portal to return publicly shared ArcGIS Online items when a user searches for them?

We're at Portal 10.3.1.

thx!

tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

The ability to search for items in ArcGIS Online from the Portal for ArcGIS map viewer (without explicitly adding them to Portal) is not currently available in Portal for ArcGIS. This is a good enhancement request, can you please add it as a new enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site?

Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Tim,

The ability to search for items in ArcGIS Online from the Portal for ArcGIS map viewer (without explicitly adding them to Portal) is not currently available in Portal for ArcGIS. This is a good enhancement request, can you please add it as a new enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site?

Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal

Hope this helps,

TimMinter

Hi Derek,

Thank you for confirming.  Unfortunately, I've had recurring problems with that ideas site.  It says there is a problem with my account and won't let me in.  I worked with Esri support to get it sorted once, but the problem is back.  I've lost interest in spending more of my employer's time messing with it.

It would be pretty cool if GeoNet had an action or button or something that would submit a post that has been identified as a good idea to the ideas site.  Do you think that might be a possibility?

Thanks!

tim

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry you've had issues with using the ArcGIS Ideas site. I would encourage you to give it another try as it is a great mechanism to capture user feedback and helps us prioritize what customers want/need.

> It would be pretty cool if GeoNet had an action or button or something that would submit a post that has been identified as a good idea to the ideas site.  Do you think that might be a possibility?

I'm not sure. I think posting a specific enhancement on the Ideas site will ensure that the idea is well thought out and described, as opposed to a collection of posts on a discussion forum. Looping in Timothy Hales​ for comment.

Hope this helps,

TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Tim Minter​ We are migrating the ArcGIS Ideas content to GeoNet this week. You will be able to access ArcGIS Ideas from the top navigation bar, mention discussions in ideas, and even easily share ideas within discussions. We hope that this will help bridge the gap between these two communities.

Announcing the Next Generation of ArcGIS Ideas in the Esri Community on GeoNet!

TimMinter

Thanks Timothy Hales​ & Derek Law​.  I'm pleased that my ArcGIS Idea to integrate ArcGIS Ideas with GeoNet aligns with your new GeoNet configuration!  Excellent timing...

tim

ZacharyHart

Is this enhancement ever going to become a reality!?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Zachary,

Please see the status update on the idea,

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12098 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

Perhaps I missed something but I thought the original discussion included the ability to search AGO in Pro while logged into an Enterprise Portal.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Zachary,

> ... I thought the original discussion included the ability to search AGO in Pro while logged into an Enterprise Portal.

That's not how I interpreted the proposed idea. You may want to submit a new, different enhancement that articulates your business needs.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos