I have an attribute that hyperlinks to a url. I can get the url from the attribute table. How do I get python to open / go to the url location?

10-16-2019 04:37 PM
GailMorrison
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone!

I have a feature class that has 700+ records in the attribute table. Each record links to a specific url location.  I can get python to extra the unique url (hyperlink).  How do I get python to go to the url?

Also, how do I get the record / row to highlight in the attribute table + zoom to that record (zoom to selected).

Thx!

Gail

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gail,

Can you clarify what you mean by "go to the url" ? Are you trying to get the text from page or do you want to load the url in a web browser?

For the second part, you can use Select Layer By Attribute—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and then use zoomToSelectedFeatures. Below is a sample for ArcMap:

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument('/path/to/mxd')
df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "Layers") [0]
lyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "Target_Layer", df)[0]
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(lyr, "NEW_SELECTION", ' "id" = 1234 ')
df.zoomToSelectedFeatures()‍‍‍‍‍

Hope this helps,

Earl

GailMorrison
New Contributor II

Hi Earl. Thx for the Select info. Much appreciated.

I would like the python script to open the url.  The url links to a specific location - example:  https://marinecadastre.gov/espis/#/search/study/322 

How do I get the script to automatically open this url?

0 Kudos
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gail,

I'm still not sure what you mean by open, but I'll assume you mean to open in a browser. For something like that, you could use selenium · PyPI .

-Earl

0 Kudos
GailMorrison
New Contributor II

Hi Earl:

I was able to open the below hyperlink / url in a web browser.  The web browser takes a few seconds to open up, but it does open and goes to the right url (study # 397) .  Note: urllink value was captured using row.getValue(urlfield)

# OPENS A HYPERLINK

import webbrowser
webbrowser.open(urllink)  # https://marinecadastre.gov/espis/#/search/study/397 

0 Kudos