delete field tool only showing field alias, says fields don't exist

03-21-2019 02:21 PM
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

I am using ModelBuilder in Pro 2.3.1. When I connect a series of tools (spatial joins) and try to delete the extra fields using the "delete field" tool from the final layer at the end only the field alias's show up in the list of field names which leads to identical names (can't tell which Object ID to select). When I run the tool I get the field names i saw in the list "don't exist" errors when running the model (because it's looking at the actual field names). Bizarre. Anyone have a workaround? I tried creating a new model to only delete fields from the final layer and same problem. I have tried closing, saving then restarting.....still does not work.

1 Reply
TaylorCarnell1
New Contributor III

I've been running into the same issue lately. Tools force you to select from a list of aliases but then fail to find the field by it's name. Even though the error shows "Field FIELD_NAME does not exist within table" (instead of "ALIAS NAME") I suspect it is looking through a list of field names for the field by it's alias.
If you rename the alias to match the field name exactly, then select this in the tool, it works. In your case, having duplicates, you may need to rename the field and then change the alias to match. 

0 Kudos