Add Field to hosted AGOL feature layer (Elections)

Jump to solution
10-11-2019 09:01 AM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

With the help of ESRI's Matthew Twietmeyer I've deployed the election Management Solution and need to add a field to the ElectionGeography hosted feature layer (Election Day Metrics table).   I am the owner.  

I open the item details, go to Data, and select the Election Day Metrics table.

In both Table and Fields views I see no "Add" functionality as described here:

Add or delete a field—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Strangely, I am able to add a field to the ElectionResults hosted layer (ElectionResults table).

Any tips on how to accomplish this or why I don't see what I'm expecting here?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

To finish this thread out for the benefit of others who may run into this issue, the problem was that I was being foiled by our corporate security. 

After working extensively with ESRI tech support and white-listing various domains, we reached a point where the required access exceptions to AWS were just too broad of an ask for our security team.

Ultimately I was successful by re-deploying the Solution from outside of our organization's firewall (via our public WiFi connection).

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS

View solution in original post

11 Replies
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay,

Can you add me to a group in your organization and share this item with that group? I'd like to take a look at this on my side. Username: JoshH_ess

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Just invited you, thanks.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay,

Strange... none of the feature layers are "hosted". Something may have went wrong during the deployment. Can you try deploying a fresh copy to see if the issue persist? To deploy a fresh copy:

1. In ArcGIS Pro, click Share > ArcGIS Solutions.
  2. Click the hamburger icon and ensure that "Use Existing Items in the Organization" is unchecked.

3. Select the solution and click Deploy.

4. Navigate to the Item Details page of the new feature layer. Is this new layer hosted? If so, are you able to add new fields to it?

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this workflow.

-Josh

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Josh,

Thanks for looking at this.

They all appear hosted from here:

And the URL of the Election Geography appears to be hosted:

https://services.arcgis.com/iCGWaR7ZHc5saRIl/arcgis/rest/services/ElectionGeography/FeatureServer 

I'm willing to try your suggestion - but will it wipe out what I already have, or just make a new one?

Off to lunch, back in a bit.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

The steps above should deploy a fresh copy of the solution and not touch the items from the original deployment.

Hmm strange. Before deploying a fresh copy of the solution, can you post a screenshot of the Settings page for the ElectionGeography feature layer?

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Josh,

See screen shot.

JayElectionGeography hosted layer settings

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay,

Everything seems to be in check as far as the content goes. I suspect something went wrong during the deployment. Please deploy a fresh copy of the solution following my steps above and see if the issue persists.

-Josh

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Joshua,

I've never been able to get deployment tool to work properly for our organization.

Earlier this year when I first tried to deploy Elections I ended up having to ask my ESRI contact in Sacramento do the deployment for me. 

When I try to deploy the Election Management Solution as suggested above (with "Use Existing Items in the Organization" unchecked), it goes through "Initializing..." for couple of minutes and then I get a pretty generic failure message.

I have Version 2019.3.19 of the Deployment Tool and am on the latest version of Pro (2.4.2).

Any suggestions?

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay,

At this point I think it would be best if you opened a case with Esri Support, if possible. It looks like the cause of this issue is deeper than I originally thought.

-Josh

0 Kudos