Question about two different image that have different dimensions

10-11-2019 10:38 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have a question that I am struggled to find an answer... I have two aerial photos that are flowed over the national forest. The photos were scanned by a contractor and they came in various dimensions for each photos...

The one I have had smaller dimension and the other had bigger dimension. My question here is How do I make the smaller image bigger dimension so I can use it to perform overlay each other with Agisoft PhotoScan ? Both image I have do not have no coordinate and projection.

I have ERDAS Imagine 2018 and ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1, and ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 here on my computer.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

If you just have two images, simplest is to just use the georeferencing tools in ArcGIS Pro. Add the image to ArcGIS Pro. Turn on Imagery basemap, zoom to your forest area. Open Imagery/Georeferencing, Use Fit to Display, then move, scale rotate image to get approx in correct location. Now Add Control points to pick point between image and basemap (Use L key to quickly turn image on/off). Number of point required will depend on various aspects, but typically 10 should be about right (ensure some points on edges). Set the transformation method so as to minimize distortions. Save. (Not Save as). This will update the georeferencing for the image. Repeat on the second image.

Now you have two layers that you can do your interpretation and analysis on. If you want to clip the frame border look at the clip function, it can take as input a geometry.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You will have to use the Georeferencing tool

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

This will be done in Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape . This will help to create output in orthomosaic. The problem is that that software will not create point dense/cloud to built overlaps in between the north and south chunks ...

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Well, I figured it out how to get the image's dimensions to work.... The tricking part is if I remember right was to use the export raster's settings in ArcGIS Pro.

So, in ArcGIS Pro, you just bring in the smaller image to the map and right click to export raster or use the export to different raster in the toolbox.

Get the dimensions numbers from the large image and then put that number to the export raster settings in the raster size before you run it.

In order to use the new image in Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape, I had to change the 16 bits to 8 bits in ERDAS Imagine.

Agisoft Metashape/PhotoScan only can read in 8 bits in order to use it to perform co-registration/co-registration there.

0 Kudos