Sharing ArcGIS StoryMaps with Groups

Jump to solution
07-26-2019 08:53 AM
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

Is sharing a 'new' ArcGIS StoryMap with an ArcGIS Online Group possible? If not, is this functionality expected soon? 

It seems sharing story maps created with the new builder is possible only with the Organization and publicly. 

Tony

0 Kudos
19 Replies
OscarMonell
Esri Contributor

How can I share a publicly available StoryMap to a group? 

I collect maps and apps from different organizations in a public gallery. Can that be achieved? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Oscar -- See this message in the thread above.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Hi Owen Evans's Blog , I am having trouble myself with this.

I am an administrator and wanted to transfer items from a member to out corporate account. Items were shared publicly by the member and shared in a group. The aim was to transfer them to the corporate account and keeping the items shared with the group. But I couldn't transfer the items from the member to our corporate account without unsharing them with the group with update capabilities.

What I did is:

1. I unshared items with the group.

2. Moved items to our corporate account.

3. Then tried to share items with the group again, I get a message that it succeeded:

4. BUT: the items don't appear in the list of items of that group after this! I have a list of items an none appear in the group now.

Could you help me with this? Thanks

0 Kudos
MaxWinn
New Contributor

I believe this question should add to this thread.. Once you publish/share a story map with your group, are you able to give editing powers to other members of your group? I am trying to orchestrate a class project in which all members can contribute to the story map, and it doesn't seem I (the owner) can distribute this permission to any other members.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Max -- The group you share the story to must be specifically configured when it is created to allow other members to edit the content of the group. That type of group can only be created by an administrator in the organization.

However, I wouldn't recommend providing editing access to an entire class to a single story. The story builder autosave is not meant to handle multiple concurrent editors and that may lead to problems. If you did go that route, you'd need to make sure only one student was editing at a time.

If you want students to contribute to a common final product, a safer approach would be to have each student work on their own story map and then combine the individual stories into a collection.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MaxWinn
New Contributor

Thank you for your timely response! I am only a student myself and I have no administrative control. I am the only one with a GIS background in the course, so I am a little skeptical that having everyone create their own stories and combining them at the end is the best route. I think it certainly would be possible if we had more time, but given the circumstances with the shutdown and everyone working remotely it might be difficult for all involved if we go that way. From what I have gathered, it seems like it might be best to have one user consolidate all of the information into one story?

I appreciate your help!

ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Hi Max - I work at a large university helping faculty use Story Maps as assignments. I totally agree with Owen's comment about not allowing a large group to edit one StoryMap. It's easy to write over other people and coordinating editing is very difficult. In a situation like yours, I would recommend creating a collaborative document, such as a Google doc, and creating a script or storyboard with sections. Then, other students can fill in the sections with their content and one person (probably you, sadly) will build the Story Map. Make sure the other students clearly lay out what images go where, preferably uploading the images to a Google Drive folder, etc. Other students can include what type of section they think works for their content (slideshow, tour, etc.) Good luck! 

JordanMoghanaki2
New Contributor II

Owen, I am trying to achieve a similar goal, to create a StoryMap for a group to collaborate on. However, when I tried to share my StoryMap with the preconfigured group today, I received an error message (see image below).

Have I made a misstep somewhere in the group settings, or is there another fix to this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jordan -- Thanks for your question.

That's currently an expected limitation. To share a story to that specific type of group (one with update capabilities), you'll need to share the story in ArcGIS rather than from within the story builder.

Later this week, you'll see a Share button on StoryMap item pages in ArcGIS and you can share the story to your group from there. (There's an update to ArcGIS Online happening this week where this will be added.)

Or, if you need to do this now, you can go to the group page in ArcGIS, go to the Content tab, click "Add item to this group," and browse to the story you want to share.

We're looking to support sharing to groups with update capabilities from within the story builder in a future release.

Owen Evans
RobinDiSalvo1
Occasional Contributor

May I add another quick sharing question to this please?  In order to share a storymap with your organization does each member of your organization also need to have an ArcGIS Online license?  If not, can I share a storymap with a single person outside or inside my organization? If so, how is this done?

Robin