Gaps for road layer

Jump to solution
01-15-2014 12:00 PM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III
Is there any to create a check that that would allow me to find gaps in roads.  So say I have a dangle but its suppose to actually connect to the road that is 20 feet away.

If I had the ability to set a tolerance at the end of the dangle to find features within 20, 50, or 100 feet that sure would speed up my process.

Does this make sense?

Steven
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Steven,

Check out the Find Dangles check in Topology Checks.  Since you can enter a tolerance, this check is ideal for street data, which has valid dangles like dead ends and cul-de-sacs.  Only requirement is that your road data needs to participate in a database topology.  Note that depending on how many features you have in the roads feature class and others that may participate in the topology will affect the performance and you may have to validate the data systematically, area by area.

Something to look forward to for 10.2.2, we are improving the Find Dangles check with better performance and removing the requirement to have database topology.

Cheers,
michellej.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Steven,

Check out the Find Dangles check in Topology Checks.  Since you can enter a tolerance, this check is ideal for street data, which has valid dangles like dead ends and cul-de-sacs.  Only requirement is that your road data needs to participate in a database topology.  Note that depending on how many features you have in the roads feature class and others that may participate in the topology will affect the performance and you may have to validate the data systematically, area by area.

Something to look forward to for 10.2.2, we are improving the Find Dangles check with better performance and removing the requirement to have database topology.

Cheers,
michellej.
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Hi,

the database topology shows me dangles, right !
but should they then be fixed manual with trim and extend or is there another way ?

regards,
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Thanks for the response.

We are running the Find Dangles check and the Orphan check.  We are setting our tolerance to 1 mile basically because most land sections are 1 mile in width.  So in order to find gaps (where a dangle is actually suppose to connect to a road that is near the dangle) we have to visually check the dangle against the imagery.  The dangle check helps a lot taking 3000+ total roads down to a few hundred (dangles), but the imagery loads pretty slow when checking the dangles against it.

Maybe a new tool/enhancement could be added in the future to help select those dangles that have end points near other line features.

Just a thought,

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hi Steven,

The Find Dangles check does look for end points (dangles) that are near to line features within the tolerance specified.  Are you asking to include line features from other feature classes?  Because the Find Dangles does consider all line feature classes in the topology.  So for example if you have your roads data tiled in multiple feature classes, you could include all of those feature classes in the topology if you copy them all into the same feature dataset.

Regards,
michellej.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Wow...I should have looked at the description a little better..I feel dumb now. It does exactly what I was suggesting.

Thank you for clarifying!
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

the database topology shows me dangles, right !
but should they then be fixed manual with trim and extend or is there another way ?

regards,

Srirama,

It depends on how confident you are doing a bulk extend and trim to fix the issues.  There are GP tools in the Editing toolbox that can extend and trim multiple features at a time.

Good luck!
michellej.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
So there is an issue with the Dangles Check in Data Reviewer.  Attached is an image.  The Yellow roads are ones found inside topology rules.  The red ones are ones that Data Reviewer found.  I have tried tolerances of 1 mile up to 100,000,000 miles with the same results each time.

Is this an issue inside 10.2.2?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34701[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Steven,

I request you to please confirm the following:

1. What version and service pack level of ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Data Reviewer you are using?
2. Road features in the screenshot, are they coming from two different feature classes? If yes, are they all participating in the Topology?
3. Please confirm if you are running Find Dangles check individually or using a Reviewer Batch Job?  You may be experiencing a bug logged in our internal system about Find Dangles check returning incorrect results when run as Individual Check.

I also request you to please share a small sample of the data that you are using so that we can try to reproduce the same issue at our end.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Running Desktop 10.2.2 with Data Reviewer 10.2.2

Running an individual check on one road layer which is participating in topology.  I exported the features selected from topology and data reviewer to show the differences in the previous image.

I will see about getting some alternate data that produce the same results and give you a copy of the data.

Thanks!
0 Kudos