Best Workflow for Data Updates with Autocad

Jump to solution
09-12-2019 09:43 AM
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

Hi,

I work primarily in Autocad for all of the drawings of my airport. This is because of Autocad being an industry go-to (for the most part) for all things relating to construction and mapping, or at least in my business it seems to be. So when a contractor puts in new waterlines, they give me an Autocad drawing that is geolocated. I then paste the geometry into my Autocad "base map" of the entire site.

My next step is to the bring the entire set of waterlines into ArcMap pulling the dwg file from the Catalog by using the Cad to Geodatabase tool. I can then create/view/edit my attribute table. But what happens when a year later after new construction and I use the Cad to geodatabase tool to bring in the updated waterlines cad drawing, does the new drawing overwrite/erase all of the existing geodata in ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

I meant deleting the actual line and any valves, curbstops, or hydrants and text associated with the water line.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Peter,

This is something I deal with regularly (except my CAD stuff is dgn/MicroStation). The answer is, it all depends on what you want to do and your workflow.

So, questions, do you need the new waterline to completely overwrite the old waterline? Or are you just adding on?

Would it be a major pain if you added a new line and got rid of the old line (pain meaning redoing all the attributes, etc.)?

I deal with land parcels going form CAD to GIS frequently. When I get my original dataset, they come in, I give them the appropriate attributes, and we're good to go.

If I get brand new parcels to add to my set, there are a few ways to go about updating my data (everyone has their preference). I pull in the raw CAD data into GIS and depending on the complexity of the parcels I eventually add it to my master list. So, if it's s simple square, I can digitize it it. Otherwise, I usually just sometimes copy and paste the new geometry into my active layer. This requires some quality control to make sure things came across appropriately but it works out. The alternative is importing the new CAD data into a new feature class in your geodatabase and then appending that data to your existing set. I don't like having a ton of one-off layers in my GDB so I don't always do this.

When I have to fully replace existing geometry with new geometry, this is a little more tricky. I usually bring in the new geometry on top of the old one, bring it in as a new feature into the same feature class, copy the attributes over, then delete the old feature. Of course, you have to quality control this stuff to make sure things are looking the way they're supposed to look. My biggest issue I find is geometry issues. Performing a Repair on the geometry fixes these.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have more questions about workflow.

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

I could bring in just the new waterline geometry only. I'd then have to reclassify old geometry for waterlines that were abandoned or remove geometry and data for stuff that was demolished or removed. Is removing geometry from ArcMap difficult?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Peter,

When you say remove geometry, do you just mean deleting the line? If so, then no it is not difficult. (I mean, it requires an edit session and such so it's not as streamlined as AutoCAD, but still not difficult - and even less difficult in ArcGIS Pro).

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

I meant deleting the actual line and any valves, curbstops, or hydrants and text associated with the water line.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes, deleting things is not a problem.

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

If you're up to storing your waterlines in a feature service, you may want to consider using ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

It could simplify some of your steps as you can add/modify/delete content in your geodatabase directly from AutoCAD.   ArcGIS for AutoCAD lets you attach attributes to plain AutoCAD entities and edit your enterprise geodatabase feature layers.

Using your example above you could:

- Paste the contractor provided DWG into your "basemap" DWG.  (Which contains feature services.)

- Add and edit attributes for the new waterline information (and probably a good idea to attach some unique identifier)

- Synchronize the new waterline information to your GIS feature service.

And then later, when you get an update:

- Using AutoCAD, delete out just those features that have your unique identifier.

- Paste in the updates from the contractor as "new" features.

- Synchronize these changes to your GIS.

And all that could be done without leaving AutoCAD.

Your current workflow sounds fine, but ArcGIS for AutoCAD may make it a bit easier.