Conflict w/2007 Office System Driver and Access 2016

11-08-2017 08:45 AM
GregTurner1
New Contributor

Anyone seen this one? 2007 Office System Driver seemed to be fine until we hit Office 2016. Seeing little to nothing useful through Google or perusing the community so far.

Windows 2012 R2

ArcGIS 10.2.1 UTUP5

ArcFM 10.2.1

1) Issue adding XLSX files through Add Data. No issues reported with other file types.
2) Install ESRI recommended 2007 Office System Driver.
3) XLSX problem solved.
4) Now Access 2016 doesn't work...allow Access 2016 to configure itself.
5) Access 2016 works...XLSX problem now back -- along with a SEEMINGLY new issue of an error "Failed to connect to database. General function failure. Unexpected error from external database driver (1)." when loading an XLS (not XLSX) file.

3 Replies
ShawnMacDonald1
New Contributor

Hi Greg, 

We're running into this exact issue as well. I was hoping it would be resolved at 10.6.1 but nope. Switching from MS Office 2016 to adding a xlsx file to ArcMap requires installing that 2007 driver. Very annoying and would be even more annoying if I didn't have local admin rights on my machine to install software.

Have you found a better solution to this since posting the above?

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

The 2007 driver has been depreciated, you need to install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center to work with Excel and Access.  It is needed for interoperability between Office applications and third party application such as ArcGIS.  Your IT department can include this as part of their MS Office deployment based upon group policy for GIS users automatically.

Additional info on the needed driver is available at Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos