Survey123: Add 'choice' to pick list

03-19-2017 07:03 PM
CraigShephard2
New Contributor III

Having some difficulty adding values to the "choice" list of our survey123 form. Note originally published in July 2015, and has been running fine since 🙂

After editing the XLS Form (Survey123 Connect 1.10.43) and attempting to republish returns a URL_Submission issue/error >

Wondering if this could be the cause: (Ref here > Publish your survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS )

Please advise of suitable workflow that does not affect the existing feature service, ie we want the update to be seamless to users (apart from downloading new form) to their device. Note no schema changes just adding an additional choice/domain!

Cheers, Craig.

15 Replies
ChaimSchwartz4
Occasional Contributor

Hi, yes that is correct, you also need to add the new response option in survey123 connect, and republish your survey. The survey123 "select one" options are not identical to domains at the schema level. True, when you first create them and publish the form for the first time they create the initial domain list, but from there on you need to manage those two lists if you want them show the same choices. 

MarioFederis1
New Contributor III

Is this a feature your team is considering adding? I have a workflow where I automatically update the domain in the service definition. A secondary step of republishing the survey would be quite cumbersome with my automation as there's no API for it. It'd be great if the latter step isn't needed and the form updates automatically with the domain. 

0 Kudos
ChaimSchwartz4
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry I don't know. jtedrick ?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mario,

We have heard this request from some customers (though oddly, I don't see an idea in https://ideas.arcgis.com).  We are evaluating this based on the user requests and the risk to data (what, for example, happens if a choice is removed at one point and then re-added with a different label later that is intended to mean a different value?) but don't have a definite plan to support this yet.

Just to note - the Esri Globe denotes that a person works with Esri or one of our distributors throughout the world, not necessarily that they work directly on Survey123 development.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My vote would be for the drop down list in 123 and the domains to always be perfectly in sync.  That seems like the most logical to me. (I think this is why it is not a ArcGIS Idea since we all just assumed that is how it was working.)  I would just wipe and reload all the domains that changed on each form publish.

If someone has a funky workflow then there is already an option to turn off the making of domains.  If someone changes a domain later that is a data change issue not a domain issue.

To me if 123 is using domains then they should be consistent.  If they will not stay in sync then do not use them at all.  I have been taking a lot of support calls on this one.  Users keep asking why some values have friendly names while others do not.  I have 100s of fields on each of my hundreds of forms so keeping them up to date manually is impossible.

thanks for thinking on it!

MarioFederis1
New Contributor III

FYI, It's now on the ideas section . Please vote if needed.

0 Kudos