View counts

Jump to solution
11-27-2018 08:18 AM
SteveBuist
New Contributor II

I'm hoping to learn more about the view counts for maps, story maps, etc. Specifically, I'm curious to learn more about whatever metrics might be available. 1. What constitutes a "view"? So, for example, if I embed a map or story map on a page, does it count as a view for my map if someone just happens to go to the page (but doesn't actually look at the map or story map)? 2. Let's say someone does access the embedded map and let's say the map has pop-up windows for each ward in a city. If a person clicks on three different wards, does that count as three views or one view? 3. Does ArcGIS (or Esri . . . not sure of the terminology here) allow for any metrics to be attached to the views? So for instance, how long does a person spend with the map or story map, how far into it do they read, what things did people click on in the map?

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

Steve Buist.

views‌  #track views

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Good questions:

1. A view for an app, like a Story Map, or a map, like the map(s) in a app, gets counted when that app or map is loaded into a web browser. It gets counted whether or not the app or map is full-screen or embedded in a web page. So if a web page contains an embedded Story Map, that Story Map's view count increments by 1 as soon as someone opens that web page, because the Story Map gets loaded as part of that web page. This is why the most viewed story maps tend to be ones that are embedded in web pages: as you might expect, in general readers discover and land on those contextual pages more than they do on standalone maps and apps.I believe the view count for a web map inside an app only gets incremented when that map is actually displayed in the Story Map. So in a Story Map Journal containing several web maps, if a reader stops reading the story halfway through, they only increment hits on the maps that they viewed.

A view is also registered for maps, apps and other content if someone goes into ArcGIS Online, find that item and then opens its item details page (i.e. the page you can use to view info and other metadata about an item). This only contributes a few hits, because most of your readers aren't doing that. For example here is the item page for the most viewed Story Map I can find in ArcGIS Online: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538  . Launching that story map from that page increments the view count, but so does opening  that page.

2. If someone opens a web map and then clicks on features to get info about them, I believe that only registers one view, when the map is initially loaded.

3. We don't support those fine grained analytics but folks are asking for them, especially for Story Maps. It is possible to add Google Analytics into Story Maps that you self-host. See this blog post: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/storymaps/blog/2016/06/07/story-maps-developers-cor... 

Tip: In ArcGIS Online to see the most up-to-date view count for any content, you should open its item details page. If you just look at the view count in the ArcGIS Online item listing (i.e. search results, group listing or in My Contents), you are looking at a cached view count, not the live view count.

For example here's a highly viewed Story Map:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=%20Kitchener%20Plow%20Clearing%20Priorities%20Story%20Map&... 

but to see its actual view count, you have to click on its title in that listing to open its item details page:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6c7941dd02544ad7bf959d3947cbab54 

On that page, the view count will usually be larger than the one shown in the item listing because it is the most recent view count.

The cached view count shown in the ArcGIS Online item listing gets updated whenever the author edits the item, or edits the info on the item details page. It also gets updated if someone rates the item or leaves a comment. So in the example I posted above, if the view count in the item listing is the same as the view count on the item details, it means that one of those actions happened recently that updated the cached view count. You can try that yourself now if you are signed into to ArcGIS Online. If you open that story map's item details page and rate the story map, and then go back to the item listing, you'll have updated that cached view count. 

Rupert

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Good questions:

1. A view for an app, like a Story Map, or a map, like the map(s) in a app, gets counted when that app or map is loaded into a web browser. It gets counted whether or not the app or map is full-screen or embedded in a web page. So if a web page contains an embedded Story Map, that Story Map's view count increments by 1 as soon as someone opens that web page, because the Story Map gets loaded as part of that web page. This is why the most viewed story maps tend to be ones that are embedded in web pages: as you might expect, in general readers discover and land on those contextual pages more than they do on standalone maps and apps.I believe the view count for a web map inside an app only gets incremented when that map is actually displayed in the Story Map. So in a Story Map Journal containing several web maps, if a reader stops reading the story halfway through, they only increment hits on the maps that they viewed.

A view is also registered for maps, apps and other content if someone goes into ArcGIS Online, find that item and then opens its item details page (i.e. the page you can use to view info and other metadata about an item). This only contributes a few hits, because most of your readers aren't doing that. For example here is the item page for the most viewed Story Map I can find in ArcGIS Online: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538  . Launching that story map from that page increments the view count, but so does opening  that page.

2. If someone opens a web map and then clicks on features to get info about them, I believe that only registers one view, when the map is initially loaded.

3. We don't support those fine grained analytics but folks are asking for them, especially for Story Maps. It is possible to add Google Analytics into Story Maps that you self-host. See this blog post: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/storymaps/blog/2016/06/07/story-maps-developers-cor... 

Tip: In ArcGIS Online to see the most up-to-date view count for any content, you should open its item details page. If you just look at the view count in the ArcGIS Online item listing (i.e. search results, group listing or in My Contents), you are looking at a cached view count, not the live view count.

For example here's a highly viewed Story Map:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=%20Kitchener%20Plow%20Clearing%20Priorities%20Story%20Map&... 

but to see its actual view count, you have to click on its title in that listing to open its item details page:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6c7941dd02544ad7bf959d3947cbab54 

On that page, the view count will usually be larger than the one shown in the item listing because it is the most recent view count.

The cached view count shown in the ArcGIS Online item listing gets updated whenever the author edits the item, or edits the info on the item details page. It also gets updated if someone rates the item or leaves a comment. So in the example I posted above, if the view count in the item listing is the same as the view count on the item details, it means that one of those actions happened recently that updated the cached view count. You can try that yourself now if you are signed into to ArcGIS Online. If you open that story map's item details page and rate the story map, and then go back to the item listing, you'll have updated that cached view count. 

Rupert

SteveBuist
New Contributor II

Rupert, thank you very much for your thorough and very helpful response. Greatly appreciated. 

steve b.

0 Kudos
SteveBuist
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert,

Thank you very much for your thorough and very helpful responses to my questions.

They are greatly appreciated.

steve b.

Steve Buist

Investigations Editor

The Hamilton Spectator

Ph: (905) 526-3226

Email: sbuist@thespec.com

0 Kudos
JeffWebb
New Contributor

What about if you have the data set on a refresh rate? Say every 1 minute. Will that increase the page count once a minute as long as the map is open?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is there any more advanced analytics coming?  Number of users, user names, user location, etc like there is for web pages using Google tools?  (or can you add the Google code in the app)

Filters would be great.  Our developer runs up the view count and we have no way to tease that out.

thanks

0 Kudos
bfindlay
New Contributor III

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of view counts!

Do you happen to know if certain apps register the view counts the same as new ones, or if there is some sort of time requirement for the app to be viewed before counting as a view? Another possibility I suppose might be that the browser cache prevents the view being recorded, I don't know. The reason I ask is we have a number of apps we check daily to make sure they are up and running but when we check view statistics at the end of the month some of the apps only reports a handful of views so somehow the daily checks must not be registering, and perhaps other usage too. We use these statistics to help us decide when to retire an application that is getting low usage so the concern is AGOL may not be reporting the usage correctly or somehow my daily checks are not counting as views.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any update or feedback on this request?

Trying to find who are view ArcGIS Enterprise application and frequency?

0 Kudos