Turn layers on or off independently on different layouts from the same map

08-26-2019 02:29 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to use a single map but turn layers on and off independently from the map TOC in different map frames and layouts? 

This could allow us to update symbology on a single map which would in turn update many layouts.  This would mean we do not need to update symbology for many maps.  Currently it is only possible (as far as i am aware) to change the extent of a map frame in a layout that does snot affect the map itself.

I believe this is possible in QGIS by being able to lock the layers in print composer:

Can I Turn Off or Remove Map Layers in QGIS Print Composer - Geographic Information Systems Stack Ex... 

11 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Joseph,

I believe that what you're asking is noted in this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13335 

Currently, you would copy the map and have different layouts/map frames point to different maps with the layers turned on/off as needed.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It would be really nice to be able to turn on\off layers in layouts that are referenced to the same map! That would help us minimizing the time in applying the symbology and other stuff for multiple maps!

Is this already documented as an idea?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
danashney
New Contributor III

Agreed. We need to be able to manage layer visibility at the Layout level without it affecting the source Map.

I try to establish consistent symbology and layer definitions at the project level. In many cases all layers could exist in a single map. If I could have 12 different layouts that all referenced this one map then it sure would make managing symbology consistency easier. Currently, with 12 maps for 12 layouts, managing consistent symbology and definitions is a nightmare. 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Not sure if this is already planned for 2.7

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Jamal, 

Adding this capability in not planned for 2.7.

Tom

VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi Tom

2 years on and arcpro at 2.9 this is still missing. It would be very nice to have it. It will save a lot of time.

Jimmy_Simpson
New Contributor III

@KoryKramer @TomBole  Is this functionally planned for 3.0? Is it planned for ANY future release? Just to be able to control layer visibility per layout would be an x10 improvement to my workflows.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Jimmy, we are tracking this request over here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/locked-multiple-layouts-in-arcgis-pro/idi-p/924876 and I see that you added your kudos. This is not planned for a release at this point but we will keep the community up to date through that idea's status. Thank you!

Jimmy_Simpson
New Contributor III

In my opinion this is the biggest short coming of Pro. Having this ability would save my organization so much time. I get asked all the time why this doesn’t exist because it’s one of those things that just seems like it should be there. 

Any help you can provide pushing this idea on the ESRI side would be greatly appreciated.