How do I know the version of ArcObjects used by arcpy?

08-20-2019 05:54 AM
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

Currently I have several products in my ecosystem:

ArcGIS Pro 2.4

ArcGIS Server 10.6.1

ArcGIS Desktop 10.6

Conda with arcpy package.

Every one of them allows me to use arcpy package in python. How do I know the version of arcobjects used by each one of the instance of arcpy in my ecosystem?

If the versions are different how do I know the compatibility among them?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Before starting to explain, can you elaborate on what you mean by "Conda with arcpy package?"  You can't install ArcPy without installing an Esri product, so I am not sure what product is associated with that comment. 

0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

Hi Joshua, as a matter of fact, you can install it: 

Install and set up | ArcGIS for Developers 

Well...it is not arcpy is the arcgis package.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcPy and ArcGIS API for Python are different Python packages for ArcGIS, and the code isn't transferable between the two.

0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

Ok, i undestood that, if we take out that package part.....the question remains.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro doesn't utilize ArcObjects.  ArcObjects is the development environment for Esri applications that are based on their old COM components, and ArcGIS Pro isn't based on COM. 

The big differences between ArcPy for ArcGIS Pro and ArcPy for ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap are that ArcGIS Pro is packaged with Python 3, and the ArcPy Mapping module was completely rewritten with Pro because the GUI and map/project object model completely changed.  So, you have to pay attention to all of the standard Python2to3 conversion issues, and none of your ArcPy Mapping code for ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap will work with ArcGIS Pro.

On a lesser note, there were some geoprocessing tools that changed syntax between ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, but that is more a geoprocessing tool issue than an ArcPy issue.

Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
info = arcpy.GetInstallInfo()
print(info['ProductName'],info['Version'])

#e.g ArcGISPro 2.3.2
0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

Luke thanks for your answer.

It gives me the version of the product installed and linked to the instance of python. but I want to know the version of the ESRI libraries called underneath by python.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

That is the version.

0 Kudos