Embedding Toolboxes in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
08-16-2019 04:26 AM
BenRalph
New Contributor II

UPDATE: Moved question to ArcGIS Pro SDK and mentioning Uma Harano‌ as the author of the embedded toolbox article.

I'm following the instructions to embed a toolbox in arcgis pro here, but am getting mixed results. In Visual Studio I've created the esriAddinX with the .tbx, and after starting Pro I can see it has correctly extracted the toolbox into %LocalAppData%\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Toolboxes\GUID\. So far so good.

I'm expecting to see my addin's toolbox listed in Pro's system Geoprocessing toolboxes as per instruction 13 in the guide, but I don't.  What am I missing? I've verified that the extracted toolbox is good, and I've populated everything in the .tbx like alias, name, description, etc.

I haven't tried a python toolbox because I want to have toolsets, but if someone knows the .pyt works, then please let me know and I'll go with that. Any ideas/samples will be greatly appreciated. I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1.

This screenshot is attempting to show the esriAddinX contents being correctly extracted. 

esriAddinX with embedded toolbox

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GhislainPrince
Esri Contributor

Hi ben,

i think your add-in may not be following the expected folder structure.  Review step3 in the embedding toolboxes add-in doc. Your toolbox should go under Toolboxes/toolboxes along with (optional) other folders.

Below is the directory structure for the add-in i created.

cheers

\---Toolboxes

+---arcpy
    |       DeepThought.py
    |
    +---help
    |   \---gp
    |       |   Answer_deepthought.xml
    |       |   deepthought_toolbox.xml
    |       |
    |       +---messages
    |       |       messages.xml
    |       |
    |       \---toolboxes
    |               DeepThought.xml
    |
    \---toolboxes
            answer.py
            DeepThought.tbx
            sixbynine.py

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Maybe posting in the ArcGIS Pro SDK‌ space would be better for this issue specifically.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

Check in ArcGISPro > settings> add-in manager at options tab, make sure it is load all add-in without restrictions and try with your visual studio again.

Below is the link describe about detail.

https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ArcGIS-Pro-Registry-Keys

0 Kudos
BenRalph
New Contributor II

Thanks for the idea, but this did not solve it for me.

0 Kudos
GhislainPrince
Esri Contributor

Hi ben,

i think your add-in may not be following the expected folder structure.  Review step3 in the embedding toolboxes add-in doc. Your toolbox should go under Toolboxes/toolboxes along with (optional) other folders.

Below is the directory structure for the add-in i created.

cheers

\---Toolboxes

+---arcpy
    |       DeepThought.py
    |
    +---help
    |   \---gp
    |       |   Answer_deepthought.xml
    |       |   deepthought_toolbox.xml
    |       |
    |       +---messages
    |       |       messages.xml
    |       |
    |       \---toolboxes
    |               DeepThought.xml
    |
    \---toolboxes
            answer.py
            DeepThought.tbx
            sixbynine.py

BenRalph
New Contributor II

Fantastic!  Thank you for taking the time to test and reply. The 'toolboxes' sub-directory was indeed missing. I'll admit that I gave up on Step3 after some confusion. 

Cheers.

0 Kudos
PierreMasson
Occasional Contributor

It was working great for our addin for a while. Now our custom embedded toolbox is not showing anymore in the toolboxes list.

Everything is there, when de AddIn is registered in arcgis pro the toolbox is copied at the right place 
C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Toolboxes\{ad4727d9-54c4-4b77-8c0a-1dd300e409ea}\toolboxes

PierreMasson_0-1659545222261.png

The toolbox though works fine since If I add it manually in the project I can use all the tools in there. 

But why the toolbox is not showing in the list? How can I refresh the Geoprocessing Tools List?

Please help.

0 Kudos
PierreMasson
Occasional Contributor

bump up

0 Kudos