How to update hosted feature layers correctly?

Jump to solution
08-22-2019 02:14 AM
BenFranks
New Contributor

I am attempting to update a hosted feature layer via a zip file containing amended shape files. Whilst the update runs correctly the result is that the features are just duplicated rather than actually amended at all?

Any suggestions as to why this happens? Fundamentally I want one hosted feature layer that I can update often without the need to generate and uplaod brand new feature layers each and every time.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Ben,

Could you provide some more information as to the workflow you're using? Are you going to the Item Details page of your data and clicking Append? If yes, this process looks for a unique identifier field and uses that to identify data that needs to be overwritten vs. added as new features.

The following page has a run-down of this workflow:

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

You can set one of your fields as a Unique Identifier by going to the Data page (top right of the Item Details page), then going to Fields in the top right, selecting the field in question, and changing the Field Value Type to Unique Identifier. Then try appending again and it should overwrite matching unique identifier features.

Let me know if I need to clarify more, not sure if that's clear. Thanks!

Best regards,

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Ben,

Could you provide some more information as to the workflow you're using? Are you going to the Item Details page of your data and clicking Append? If yes, this process looks for a unique identifier field and uses that to identify data that needs to be overwritten vs. added as new features.

The following page has a run-down of this workflow:

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

You can set one of your fields as a Unique Identifier by going to the Data page (top right of the Item Details page), then going to Fields in the top right, selecting the field in question, and changing the Field Value Type to Unique Identifier. Then try appending again and it should overwrite matching unique identifier features.

Let me know if I need to clarify more, not sure if that's clear. Thanks!

Best regards,

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Rachel,

This is similar to Ben's question above. If I have a hosted feature layer, in my case it's a waterline layer that is shared to our field staff; how can I completely replace that layer easily without messing up our online maps? I tried Append, and I believe I just duplicated the features in the layer like Ben stated. 

As an example, we may spot dig and locate a waterline in a particular area and we will acquire a GPS point on the waterline using our "Locate" layer. I will then pull that "locate" layer into ArcGIS Desktop and make alignment changes to make the waterline more accurate. We have really nice hi-res county aerials which is why I do it on Desktop. I don't have to do this often, but I have made many small changes in quite a few places and need to update the waterline layer contained in our online maps on AGOL. I just want to write over the layer, but change nothing else with regard to sharing, editing, etc., and not lose or create errors in the existing maps.

I created a new zip file that contains the watermain shape files (exported from Desktop) and uploaded that layer to a feature layer on AGOL. I haven't done anything with it at this point. If I click on that feature layer and click on the "Update Date" button, there are two options: "Overwrite Entire Layer" or "Append Data to Layer". Overwrite sounds like the correct choice, but that is not listed as an option in my existing watermain layer that I want to replace. Only the Append option is listed. I'm not sure why that is, but my existing layer is a couple years old. I also may have one iPad in the field that has an offline map on it. I'll check that later today and delete it. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not.

I appreciate your help. 

Travis Anderson

0 Kudos