Label or font colors on an imagery background examples

Jump to solution
08-09-2019 09:00 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have been in searching of a website that was done by somebody from ESRI that wrote about...if I remember right...it was in either on the ArcGIS Mapping Center or in the ESRI Technical support article....

There was an article that an author from ESRI wrote about an examples of colors of Labels or font on over a satellite imagery in the background...

Can't remember what it was about the article but I believe it was meant to give the users an examples of colors to show or visualize you the colors with the image in the background.

I had that site saved it to my bookmark back then before ESRI decided to redesign their website and it may have move or remove from their server.

I would like to get that information restore again but I can't find it on the internet...

I am sure the end-user would appreciate me if I do request it to restore it again...

Anyone remember it?

feeling frustrated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Well I have a GOOD news to tell you .... I have found a lost link that I have been searching for ....

I had to go back and keep trying searching and I had the old external hard drive that I had saved over the years... I had the chrome bookmarked in it and I checked ....

The link to that one is :  Can you read me now? 

It was Charlie Frye that wrote it about it on April 08, 2008. it was in the Mapping and I think it may have moved or not...

So there you are.... This is what I need it and helps me or anyone to look at it the different kinds of labels with colors over an imagery...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Well I have a GOOD news to tell you .... I have found a lost link that I have been searching for ....

I had to go back and keep trying searching and I had the old external hard drive that I had saved over the years... I had the chrome bookmarked in it and I checked ....

The link to that one is :  Can you read me now? 

It was Charlie Frye that wrote it about it on April 08, 2008. it was in the Mapping and I think it may have moved or not...

So there you are.... This is what I need it and helps me or anyone to look at it the different kinds of labels with colors over an imagery...

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

The blog post talks about tweaking the brightness/contrast of aerials but I'll go a step further and suggest tweaking the gamma in the Image Analysis toolbar as well. I typically change the gamma from 1.0 to 1.5 or 2.0 and THEN adjust the brightness/contrast in order to screen back the aerial when I still want the image information but want the vector information on top to be more prominent. 

Also, I'm surprised that the examples in the blog post didn't include a different color halo because yellow text with a black halo is really effective on top of aerials-

MichellePacker
New Contributor

This is an issue I feel like EVERY GIS professional faces.  I would like to see this topic re-addressed but with examples showing more variety of VIABLE options for readable text.

Boise_Metro_Aerial.jpg