Install Arcpy library without ArcGIS server on linux

Jump to solution
08-13-2019 06:12 PM
JasonLi
New Contributor II

Hi Team,

I'm a newbie to ArcGIS, got a request to enable Arcpy on Jupyter Notebook without ArcGIS server bundled on the same Linux machine, is that possible to just install arcpy as a Python 3 library only? I explored some discussions in this community here and most of them are about Jupyter Notebook on Windows environment, in my case is Jupyter Notebook on Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arcpy can't be installed as a separate package, it is part of the ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro or Arc-Whatever distributions that contain it.  Each version is slightly different as far as I can tell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arcpy can't be installed as a separate package, it is part of the ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro or Arc-Whatever distributions that contain it.  Each version is slightly different as far as I can tell

0 Kudos
JasonLi
New Contributor II

thanks Dan!

0 Kudos
JasonLi
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

As your reply said, can I say the structure of Jupyter Notebook(Linux machine1) + ArcGIS Server(Linux machine 2) won't be able to enable Arcpy on Jupyter Notebook, because Arcpy will never be successfully installed.

0 Kudos
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, unless you install a copy of ArcGIS Desktop, or alternative ArcGIS suite products that contain arcpy on that machine.   (Im not aware of any "free" products that contain arcpy, but it does come with Desktop basic!)

JasonLi
New Contributor II

thanks for the confirmation!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jason...

If you examine the code associated with the use of Jupyter in say the arcgis 1.6.2 module, you will see that geometries are paralleled by an 'has arcpy' and 'doesn't have arcpy' stream

_HASARCPY = None
    _HASSHAPELY = None

If you have arcpy, then that filter is triggered and  your geometry is handled largely by arcpy.  If you don't, then you are streamed to what 'shapely' has to offer.  Numpy/Pandas is largely used to handle the attribute stream.

JasonLi
New Contributor II

thanks!

0 Kudos