Create Building Scene Layer package reports 'unsupported data type' from Revit model

Jump to solution
08-13-2019 09:30 AM
JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

Colleagues, I have recently, upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.4 so I can use the new Create Building Scene Layer package tool to publish my Revit model as a Scene layer (in less steps). However, the GP tool just doesn't seem to accept any input datasets I point at it. I'm just selecting single layer items directly from my Revit model but just get an unsupported data type error as shown below. I tried using the 3D features to Feature Class tool to create multipatch feature class layers from my Revit model and using those as input but that didn't work either. Any advice would be really appreciated as I have a really nice 3D model to publish that only I can see at present 

The layers I'm selecting from my Revit model look like this...

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Glad to hear it's working! If you run into any issues with the scene layer feel free to let me know. To recap:

1) To convert the whole revit file to a scene layer add it to ArcGIS Pro and run Create Building Scene Layer Package tool

2) To convert only one of the layers (e.g. casework) you would need to copy it to a geodatabase > Add the feature class to a scene > run the Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package tool 

Building scene layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

The Create Building Scene Layer Package tool only accepts building layer as an input. In this case you would need to create a layer file from the revit data and then use that as input to the tool. At this point you would have to bring it into a scene in ArcGIS Pro and then right click > Sharing > Save As Layer File.

The CAD team is currently working on a Make Building Layer tool so in a future version of Pro you would want to use that tool in the model builder model.

thanks,

Andrew

JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Andrew. So I'm probably doing something stupid here, but I've created a layer file (.lyrx) from one of my Revit categories as you suggested and I'm still getting an 'invalid data type' - see below

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Nope you aren't doing anything wrong here! I thought you were trying to convert the whole revit file. In order to create a Building Scene Layer we require the Discipline structure to be maintained so it is not supported to take out an individual category layer and convert it to a building scene layer. Since you are looking to do this with the casework layer you would need to first use the Copy Features tool to copy it to a geodatabase and from there you could create a layer using the Make Feature Layer tool and then run it through the Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package tool. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

thanks,

Andrew 

JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

Hey Andrew, really appreciate the help here. I'm already getting excited that this might get published soon!

So I am definitely wanting to convert the whole revit file and just want to nail down the workflow for that. Based on your response I created a group layer for all the Revit layers (as shown below) and right clicked and created a layer file for the whole group. But the resultant .lyrx file still didn't work with the Create Building Scene Layer Package tool (unsupported data type). I then did a multi-select for all of the layers (Piping, Mechanical, etc) and created a layer file for that but that didn't work either. So what are the exact steps to Discipline structure and convert the whole revit file.

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

You shouldn't have to manually create the group layer structure. If you add the revit file to a new local scene via Map Tab > Add Data > Select Revit file. The building layer will be created as is for you. It should look like the screenshot below. If this is not the case then it's possible there something else going on with the revit file but let me know first if this works for you?

JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

You got it buddy! I was adding the Revit model layers individually to my local Scene. When I added the entire Revit file as one item it created that top level item you show on your screenshot and the tool is now building my Scene layer package. Thank you so much for the help, that one was wrecking my head! I'll let u know if it publishes successfully once its built. Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Glad to hear it's working! If you run into any issues with the scene layer feel free to let me know. To recap:

1) To convert the whole revit file to a scene layer add it to ArcGIS Pro and run Create Building Scene Layer Package tool

2) To convert only one of the layers (e.g. casework) you would need to copy it to a geodatabase > Add the feature class to a scene > run the Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package tool 

Building scene layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

Hi Andrew, I wanted to thank you again for the help and show you the resultant model which I'm delighted with. One small question; the create scene layer package worked on the architectural and structural Revit groupings but seemed to ignore others such as pipes and electrical. Is this expected behaviour? It's no issue as i accomplished what I wanted to, but I was just curious. Thanks again, John

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot, its a nice building you got there! Those layers will only be removed from the building scene layer if they are empty. If you add the revit file back into the scene and open the attribute table for one of those layers it should be empty.

regards,

Andrew