Feature Layer Views Not Visible in Explorer?

01-23-2018 08:53 AM
KalenMyers
New Contributor III

Hello!

I've discovered my hosted feature layer views ("read-only views") are not visible in the ArcGIS Explorer mobile app (iOS). I made a test map containing only layer views and while I can open the map in Explorer, none of the layers are visible. I have another map with a mixture of regular feature layers and views. In Explorer, only the view layers for this map are not visible. For this latter example I can see all layers (including views) in the Collector App. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Is this a known limitation for Explorer?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi Kalen,

What version of Explorer iOS are you using? Is it 17.1.2 (the one that is currently in the AppStore)?

I was unable to reproduce this issue in 17.1.2 with the data i tried. I create the Hosted Layer view from a point feature layer - and confirmed i could view the layer when the Layer had both fields and feature defined.

Maybe you could send an email to the Explorer4ArcGIS@esri.com (which goes to me and the rest of the Explorer Dev team), with some more details about your case, and we can investigate.  If you can share the data/services/views that would be ideal

KalenMyers
New Contributor III

Thanks again for your help Heather! For those checking in with the same problem - this was identified as a bug. What caused the view to not be visible in Explorer had to do with the fact that I turned editor tracking on the original feature layer after the view was created. This issue is fixed going forward when creating new views, but won't fix old views. If anyone else runs into this, publish a new view and it should fix the problem.

HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Thanks for posting this summary Kalen! Glad you are up and running.

-Heather

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I know this thread is over a year old but I am now experiencing this problem. The maps on the PC view correctly but on the mobile app all but two features are showing. Our crew relies heavily on this application and aren't very happy right now. Can you help?

NathanielSimmons2
New Contributor II

Randy,

I am having the exact same issue. Were you ever able to get this resolved? Like you said, I have all of the layers displaying correctly in the web map through a browser, but in Explorer one of the layers will not display at all. 

I found a solution to a similar issue that I had previously -- I had a layer that would not display in the web map or the Explorer app. I found that if I made sure the subtype field was visible before publishing, the layer would display correctly in the web map. However, now the explorer app for iPad is a different story......

Hopefully we can get some resolution to this!

ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

This is something that I have been having issues with lately and my Field Foreman from different crews are coming in and complaining that they cannot see specific layers in Explorer, which they too rely on. A little history... I use ArcMap for data editing. We also use ArcReader in the office for our Operation's staff. ArcGIS Online and Explorer is something that we have implemented for a little over a year. My goal was to keep ALL platforms consistant so if one layer's symbol is in ArcMap, it is the same across ALL platforms. I would use ArcMap to update ArcReader's dataset and ArcGIS Online's dataset. The problem came from updating the Feature Layer with the selected symbols in ArcMap for the Web Map for Explorer. NOW, I am working on using the symbol building tool in ArcGIS PRO to mimic the symbol I use for ArcMap and ArcReader and I am able to update the Feature Layer to AGOL and ALL of the symbols work/show in Explorer. I believe this is what you are discussing and wanted to add my input on what is working for me. Also, the Explorer App is used on Apple and Android devices. It would be nice if no matter what editing platform you are using (ArcMAP vs ArcGIS Pro), the symbol selection would be able to be used on all other platforms (AGOL, Explorer, Collector, etc.)

0 Kudos
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

I recently discovered that most of the layers for my stormwater map are not displaying in Explorer (Android, latest version everything). They are working just fine on a PC using a web app, and working fine in Workforce and Collector. I have 9 layers, and only 2 are working. They are accessed in the web map using their View (editing not enabled in the view, but is enabled in the original layer). The 2 that are working are a point and a polygon layer that only have a handful of features. The 7 view layers that are not working are a combination of point, line, and polygon layers, with some having attachments, and some don't. All settings are the same across all layers. I am not even sure where to start looking for issues because no errors or warnings pop up when I load the map in Explorer. Please help as my field crews do use this map for their operations. #arcexplorer online#arcexplorer

0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi Alyssia,

Lets aim to get to the bottom of this and get your field crews back up and working.

Are these new Views that you have created? or have they been around a while? Just noting that Kalen above described success with a similar symptom, when he recreated the views. Have you tried this?

The quickest path to understand what's up - would be if you could share you map with us?

Could send an email to Explorer4ArcGIS@esri.com (which goes to me and the rest of the Explorer Dev team), with some more details about your case, and we can investigate.  If you can share the data/services/views that would be ideal (See this help doc for sharing content with users outside your org: Sharing content privately between organizations )

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

I just created these views about a week or two ago, and it is my first time working with views. I will send you an email. 

0 Kudos