Layers not showing in Explorer (iOS)

Jump to solution
04-03-2018 07:27 AM
KevinShirey
New Contributor II

I have a map of water data (mains, valves, meters, etc.) that just recently stopped showing layers.  I've tried updating the feature layer.  I've completely removed and re-uploaded the layer. I've even completely replaced the layer, map, and all files associated with the map.  Nothing seems to make the layers show on explorer, even though they show in every other viewer (Pro, Web Map, Web App). 

The only error I can see is when I open the legend in the explorer app.  All the layers show "Invalid JSON". 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin,

I wonder if you are running into an issue we recently identified?  We have seen some "invalid json" errors when there is a Domain defined in the services you are rendering, that do not have any values specified. When there are no coded value domains, we don't handle this case well.

If this is your case, there is a Workaround in the meantime. 

First thing

1) Lets identify if this is in fact your issue.  Can you inspect the JSON of the services you have in your map

- here is an Example of the JSON endpoint you should be inspecting using one of our sample services (https://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/FeatureServer... )

- Search for some text that looks like this "codedValues": []"

- essentially that text is showing an empty array of Values

- An example of JSON might look like this

{

"name": "MATERIAL",

"type": "esriFieldTypeString",

"alias": "MATERIAL",

"domain": {

"type": "codedValue",

"codedValues": []

},

2) Workaround: If you have found such a case, here are the workaround steps

- Identify which Geodatabase domains have this issue in your source geodatabase.

- Add a minimum of 1 coded value to the domain

- Republish the services.

Is this your case? If not (or even if so), if you can share your webmap with me, I can help identify what's up.

Thanks,

Heather

View solution in original post

19 Replies
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin,

I wonder if you are running into an issue we recently identified?  We have seen some "invalid json" errors when there is a Domain defined in the services you are rendering, that do not have any values specified. When there are no coded value domains, we don't handle this case well.

If this is your case, there is a Workaround in the meantime. 

First thing

1) Lets identify if this is in fact your issue.  Can you inspect the JSON of the services you have in your map

- here is an Example of the JSON endpoint you should be inspecting using one of our sample services (https://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/FeatureServer... )

- Search for some text that looks like this "codedValues": []"

- essentially that text is showing an empty array of Values

- An example of JSON might look like this

{

"type": "esriFieldTypeString",

"alias": "MATERIAL",

"domain": {

"type": "codedValue",

"codedValues": []

},

2) Workaround: If you have found such a case, here are the workaround steps

- Identify which Geodatabase domains have this issue in your source geodatabase.

- Add a minimum of 1 coded value to the domain

- Republish the services.

Is this your case? If not (or even if so), if you can share your webmap with me, I can help identify what's up.

Thanks,

Heather

HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Oops! the example  Service endpoint should have been to one of the layers

So https://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/FeatureServer... 

KevinShirey
New Contributor II

That worked! Thank you so much, Heather!

0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Great Kevin!
We'll work to get this into the software as soon as we can.

-Heather

SarahReasbeck
New Contributor

Hi Heather, 

I am currently running into issues with the explorer map not showing layers, however, I am not getting any errors with it. They just simply are not there when I load the map on explorer but I can see them when I get on the Collector app. Any suggestions?

Sarah

0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Sorry you are having an issue. Is it possible you are running into the issue described here?

https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000021401 

Patch to resolve: ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) Microsoft ( R ) Windows ( R ) June 2019 Security Update Compatibili... 

fyi - here is another thread where Explorer users reported similar rendering issues here, which ended up being resolved with the patch above.

Feature layer not displaying in Explorer app, but displays in AGO 

Have a look at this, and see if installing the patch and resolves the issue - Hopefully this does the trick? Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
GavinRunyon
New Contributor III

Hi Heather,

I am experiencing a similar problem. I have a web map with hosted feature services of hydrants, valves, and mains. The mains layer shows the invalid json error in the explorer app, but the hydrants and valves appear correctly. All three services were published from the same database through pro. I've checked for empty domains as you mentioned above but there aren't any.

Thanks,

Gavin

0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Okay Gavin,

Lets sort it out.

The `invalid json` is a bit of a catch all generic message - so its very likely something else that is up.

Are you able to share your webmap with me? or one of the services you are trying to display?

Can you email me directly at hmccracken@esri.com (and cc Explorer4ArcGIS@esri.com ) and we'll get to the bottom of it.  If the content isn't shared with everyone, you can share the content directly with my user 'heather_nitro` by following these blog instructions: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/uncategorized/sharing-content-privately-betw... 

Best, 

Heather

0 Kudos
LarryMasters
Occasional Contributor

Heather,

I am going to join the party. I tried the correct answer remedy but to no avail. Would appreciate some help as well.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

0 Kudos